Desperately searching for over 30 years....

I truly believe it was divine intervention that allowed this site to come up in my search today.  I've googled at least 1000 times and either it never appeared or I missed it somehow...at any rate, I cannot tell you how happy I am to be here, and prayerful to find the answers I've been searching for, for over 30 years.

My grandmother was Della "Jack" Parker.  She was full of life.  My granddaddy, Kermit Cagle, always said about my grandmother when she was on the warpath "sometimes you just gotta let Deller beller.."  :-)  But on to my story.

I know my grandmother's father was Joseph Champion Parker (1876-1963 - Pickens County Georgia) 

Joseph was the son to Thomas Eli Parker (1859-1939 - mostly in Pickens County Georgia, possibly in North Carolina in his youth). 

Thomas Eli was the son of Champion Parker (1828-1859) believed to be born in NC, living for a time in Gilmer County Georgia and then the end of his life in Pickens County Georgia.

That's the end of what I know.  Through 30 years of research, I've only gotten a little further, believing now that Thomas' father was Eli Parker born possibly in 1800 in North Carolina.  His wife appears to have been Ellen/Eleanor/Ellenor Champion, which makes sense following the paths of the names forward.

I got that information from a death certificate for  Sarah Elizabeth Parker, a child previously unknown to our family.  Sarah's husband listed this information as the parents on her death certificate.  He was well into his 80s when she died, so his memory is questionable. 

I have a great aunt, my grandmother's sister, who family legend says has the family information but refuses to share it with anyone.  It breaks my heart my grandmother died before I got this information.  But none the less I press on.  I know everyone searching "wants to know", but this means the world to me.  If anyone has any information or ideas or resources or suggestions or.....I would be perpetually grateful!

Thank you!!

Lori Duckworth

The proud and loving granddaughter of Della "Jack" Parker.

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wondering if Julian PARKER, male, is related to your PARKERs. He is from South Carolina, York Co SC, and is very close to Thomas NORTON, and Julian PARKER was also in Gilmer County GA, and Pickens County GA at the same time your PARKERs were in those Counties. There is also a reference that Julian PARKER may have had some Indian Ancestry. Genforum.Genealogy.com.
  • Thomas PARKER married Nancy Ann BURGES or BURGESS 19 November 1871, Pickens Co GA.
    Another marriage of interest, Champens PARKER probably Champion PARKER married Sarah NORTON, Gilmer Co GA 28 August 1851. Once again the NORTON, PARKER connection.
  • 1880 Census Pickens Co GA page 584 B. Thomas and Nancy PARKER parents of Joseph C PARKER. Sisters of Joseph PARKER are Mildred and Matilda PARKER. Thomas born in Georgia according to Census and his father born in South Carolina and his mother born in North Carolina.

1860 Census Pickens Co GA page 97, Thomas PARKER and Sarah PARKER living with the NORTEN family, and the NORTEN family are from South Carolina.
  • 1880 Census for Thomas and Nancy PARKER, parents of Joseph C PARKER. Census has Thomas PARKER born in Georgia and his father born in South Carolina and his mother born in North Carolina. Also list Mildred as a sister to Joseph C PARKER. Another sister Matilda L PARKER also listed in the 1880 Census, Pickens Co GA, page 584 B.

1860 Census Pickens Co GA list Sarah born 1835 and Thomas PARKER born 1852. page 97. Sarah PARKER and Thomas PARKER living with the NORTEN or NORLEN family. A personal note is the NORTEN family are from South Carolina, same state that the 1880 Census gives for the birth place of Thomas PARKER father.
  • That's pretty much the information I've got in my tree as well. We always knew about William, but Sarah was new to us until I found her online. Sarah's is the death certificate I speak of. But we can find no trail, trace or information at all on Eli and Eleanor/Ellen/Ellenor. It's listed different ways depending on where you run across them.
  • http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=61338306 shows Champion's folks to be Eli and Eleanor (Champion) Parker
    ancestry.com tree shows children William b.1821 c.1880 AND Champion b.1828 d.1859 AND Sarah Elizabeth b.1832 d.1924
This reply was deleted.