Patience Parker b. ~1742

Thank you for accepting me into Parker Heritage. My 5 GGM was Patience Parker b. ~1742, who married James Sellers. They lived in Chatham, NC and migrated to TN. I have atDNA matches to both Parker and Benton ancestors - I am investigating whether Patience came from a Parker-Benton marriage. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks again, Wayne. You are most generous in spending the time on this. I am guessing, then, the 6 William Parker, Sr, d: Bef. 1787 in NC or TN you listed here might have been the grandson William that was mentioned in Richard Parker III will?
    • Jim, That is correct. I have posted a lot of information on PH about our FG#7 Parker family. I will be more than glad to seen you any of my research files to you by email , Wayne
      • Wayne - I would be interested in that, although I'm not quite sure what to ask for!
  • James,
    I need correct a statement that I posted easier . William Parker who married Mary Benton was the nephew of Jonathan Parker who married Mary sister Charity Benton.
    As for Wilktree I am still able to see information on there so I did get to look at your information.
    When I started to post my information on Wilktree I didn’t realized that other people could change the data that I posted.
    I saw where you use the book “Following The Land” Mrs. Raymond has three (3) different y-DNA Group in her book FG#1, FG#7 .. She did great job of research and she wrote her book just before we started doing DNA testing.
    Glad you joined Parker DNA project.
    Please feel free to ask any question. Also you will find a lot of information in our post here on PH
    Wayne

Direct Descendants of William Parker
    DNA Family Group #7

1 William Parker 1604 - 1654 b: Abt. 1604 in Barley, Hertfordshire, England d: 1654 in Nansemond Co., VA
    .. +?
    ..... 2 Richard Parker I 1625 - 1681 b: Abt. 1625 in Elizabeth City (or citiie as it was then called) was one of four incorporations established in the Virginia Colony in 1619 by the proprietor, the Virginia Company d: Bef. April 23, 1681 in Nansemond Co., VA
    ......... +?
    ............ 3 Richard Parker II 1645 - 1698 b: Abt. 1645 in Nansemond Co., VA d: Bet. 1698 - 1704 in Nansemond Co., VA
    ................ +?
    ................... 4 Richard Parker III 1676 - 1750 b: Abt. 1676 in Nansemond Co., VA d: 1750 in Chowan Co., NC
    ....................... +Elizabeth (King) - 1728 d: Bet. 1728 - 1729 in Nansemond Co., VA/Chowan Co., NC
    .......................... 5 William Parker 1699 - 1749 b: Abt. 1699 in Nansemond Co., VA d: Bef. 1749 in Gates Co., NC
    .................................. 6 William Parker, Sr. - 1787 b: in Nansemond Co., VA d: Bef. 1787 in NC or TN

infor below from my files WNP

William Parker and Mary BENTON Children
    By Norris Barrow June 20, 1999 at 10:50:30

Looking for information on the children of William Parker and Mary Benton Parker. Son Nathan John Parker married Susannah Henderson came to Stewart Co. Tennessee.
    Also his daughter, Mary, I think. Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks Norris

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/parker/24013/

Peter PARKER, 1712, Nansemond Co VA, Chowan Co NC
    By Steven Kratz July 23, 2010 at 10:47:23
    In reply to: Peter Parker (#s3638 Rev War)...Sumner, Wilson Co's,TN,..1826 to Stewart Co TN
    Carolyn Krueger 6/06/10
    There is more than 1 Peter PARKER in Nansemond Co. VA.
    We are missing a generation since your Peter was born in 1757 in Chowan Co NC.Not sure we have the correct group of PARKERs in Nansemond Co but we do have the name and County.Also John Nathan PARKER moved to Stewart County, TN and he may someway be connected to Peter PARKER 1712 Chowan Co. NC.John Nathan PARKER father is William PARKER who married a Miss BENTON.Got some of this information from the BENTON message board.

orn@sun-spot.com>
    Subject: [TNSTEWAR-L] John Parker/Nathan Parker
    Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:27:46 -0500

For Anna and Alice and anyone else needing:
    Parkers of N.C. and Stewart Co., TN

"____John Parker named with Nancy Shepherd as heirs of William Parker who was granted 640 acres on Cayce Creek in Davidson Co in 1787 and registered Nov. 1790 is same one who was in Montgomery Co, and then in Stewart Co.____"

http://www.tngenweb.org/stewart/deed/deed4.htm

Stewart Co. Deed Book D  (typed as Book 4)  (deeds registered Mar 1811 – Nov 1813)

177  John McNAIRY (Davidson County) to Richard B. OWEN (Davidson County), 1000a for a $500 Dare Devil mare, on HICKMAN Creek adj. HICKMAN’s NE corner; wit:  L. A. PARKER, John BAIRD; 24 Jul 1811

412  State of NC grant #667 (warrant #2090) to Nancy SHEPHERD, assignee of John SHEPHERD, assignee of John PARKER, heir of Pvt. William PARKER, 640a on both sides of HAYS Creek, about 3 miles upstream from Tennessee River, adj. Benjamin SHEPHERD’s SW corner (entry #2303); 8 Dec 1787, registered 16 Nov 1790 in Davidson County Book B, p. 146, in Stewart County 6 Jun 1813
    415  State of NC grant #666 (warrant #1496) to Nancy SHEPHERD, assignee of John SHEPHERD, assignee of Joseph BENNETT, heir of Pvt. Nehemiah BENNETT, 640a on Indian Creek, W side of Tennessee River, adj. Thomas BERRY’s NW corner (entry #1397); 8 Dec 1787, registered 16 Nov 1790 in Davidson County Book B, p. 147, in Stewart County 6 Jun 1813
    419  State of NC grant #668 (warrant #2086) to Nancy SHEPHERD, assignee of John SHEPHERD, assignee of Jacob COOPER, heir of Pvt. Nathaniel COOPER, 640a on N side of Tennessee River at the Virginia line; 18 Dec 1787, registered 16 Nov 1790 in Davidson County Book B, p. 148, in Stewart County 9 Jun 1813
    422  Oliver SMITH and wife Nancy (Pitt County, NC), formerly Nancy SHEPHERD, to Col. Harding MURPHREY (Hertford County, NC), 3200a in 5 tracts:  (1) 640a on N side of Tennessee River at the Virginia line (NC grant #668), (2) 640a on Indian Creek of Tennessee River (NC grant #666), (3) 640a on the first creek to the east of upper Lick Creek (NC grant #2327, warrant #1495, granted to Nancy SHEPHERD as assignee of Robert CHESTER, 20 May 1793, registered in Davidson County 10 Nov 1795), (4) 640a (NC grant #667) on HAYS Creek, (5) 640a on a small creek of Duck River, adj. Nancy’s entry #1495 (NC grant #2286, warrant #1497, 20 May 1793, registered in Davidson County 9 Mar 1786, granted to Nancy SHEPHERD as assignee of John GRANT); wit:  James SHEPHERD, Hardin SMITH; 5 Nov 1806, registered Nov 1806 in Pitt County, NC, 6 Oct 1807 in Williamson County (Book 1, p. 757)
    436  John BLAIR (Montgomery County) to William TRAVIS, 15a on W fork of N Cross Creek, adj. Joseph ALLEN’s N boundary, including the improvements where Paul HOWELL lives; wit:  Stephen PARKER, Frances SMITH; 12 Jan 1813
    438  Joseph GRAY Sr., deed of gift to Joseph John GRAY, son of Joseph GRAY Jr., Negroes Young Gib and Eleigal; wit:  William N. COOLEY, William CARR, William CLARK; 31 Dec 1812
    440  Prescott CRISP to John WILLIAMS, 280a on Clark’s Creek of Saline Creek, part of the land CRISP bought from John BROWN; wit:  Jesse JACKSON, William JACKSON; 7 Nov 1812
    441  Isaac BRUNSON to Nathan ROSS, 8a on a spring branch at Cumberland River; wit:  John ACREE, Sally STAGNER, John PERRY; 12 May 1812
    443  Micajah HOGAN to Josiah OUTLAND, 220a on CROCKETTS Creek at the state line, the lower half of Samuel CROCKETT’s 640a tract; wit:  Thomas BRIGHAM, Silas VINSON; 30 Jan 1813
    447  John PARKER, deed of gift to “loving son, Nathan PARKER”, Negro man Jonah; wit:  William CURL, Ezekiah RORIE; 2 Dec 1812
    448  John PARKER, deed of gift to “loving sons David PARKER and Stephen PARKER”, Negro boy Tom; wit:  Ezekiel RORIE, William CURL; 2 Dec 1812
    456  William TRAVIS to John BLAIR (Montgomery County), 15.5a on W fork of N Cross Creek, part of TRAVIS’ grant (10 Oct 1811); wit:  Stephen PARKER, Frances SMITH; 7 Jan 1813
    Peter PARKER, 1712, Nansemond - Genealogy.com
    Parker: There is more than 1 Peter PARKER in Nansemond Co.... Read more on Genealogy.com!
  • I joined the Parker Group Project on FTDNA and read the most recent activity there. Wayne - I didn't realize that you no longer participate in Wikitree - I apologize for suggesting that you help me there. I will continue to follow the leads you have provided me and again, thank you! - Jim
  • https://www.ncgenweb.us/chatham/court/1774ctmn.html
    CHATHAM COUNTY COURT OF PLEAS AND QUARTER SESSION
    1774-1779

Pg. 1 - North Carolina
    At an inferior Court of the Pleas & Quarter Sessions begun and held for the County of Chatham at the Courthouse in Chatham on the second Tuesday in May to wit the 10th day of the same month in the fourteenth year of his Majisty's Reign, and in the year of our Lord one thousand Seven- hundred and Seventy four -- . --
    =
    A commission of the Peace for the county of Chatham being porduced and openly read, - Richard Parker, Robert Rutherford and James Sellers, therein nominated were qualified in due form of Law.

( NOTE: From the research of Wayne N. Parker the Richard Parker listed above is more than likely Maj. Richard Parker, his wife was Ann Hogan Maj. Richard Parker is part of Parker DNA Family Group #7, at this time 3-19-2024 don't know who his parents were.
    THEORY ONLY !!! Since Richard Parker and James Sellers are lister together in many of the court records ??could Patience Parker born 1742 be kin to Major Richard Parker born 1729?? I believe they very well could be.)

Pg. 8
    A Deed from William George and wife to John Cotton, Acknowledged and fem relinq'd before Robert Rutherford Esq'r.
    H=
    A Deed from Michale Weesner and wife to Thomas Lindley Jun'r proved by the afirm'a of Aaron Jones.
    =
    A Deed of Trust from William Ashford to Richard Kennon & Co. proved by John Auld.
    =
    A Deed of Trust from Zach'a Martin freeborn to Richard Kennon & Co. proved by John Auld.
    =
    A Deed from Joseph Copland and wife to William Clark, Acknowledged and feme relinq'd before James Sellers Esq'r.
    =
    A Deed of Trust from David Griffin to Rich'd Kennon & Co. proved by Elisha Cain.
    =
    Then the Court adjourn'd 'till tomorrow 10 o'clock
    Wednesday morning court met according to adjournement
                                        Present:
    The Worshipfull -      Richard Parker
                                        Robert Rutherford
                                        James Sellers            }
                                        Francis Drake            }    Esq'rs  Justices
                                        Abner Hill   &
                                        Jeduthan Harper
    Pg. 9.
    Deed from John Landrum to John Copland proved by Joseph Dark.
    =
    The Court proceeded to the election of Sheriffs and voted as follows, Viz:
    (Candidates were: Robt. Rutherford, Rich'd Parker, Elisha Cain, Matt'w Jones, James Sellers & Isaiah Hogan)
    The above Justices voted:
    Abner Hill    for    Rob. Rutherford, Rich'd Parker & Elisha Cain
    Francis Drake  for  Rob. Rutherford, Rich'd Parker & Elisha Cain
    Jedethan Harper  for Elisha Cain, Matt'w Jones & Rich'd Kennon
    Robert Rutherford for Rich'd Parker, James Sellers & Isaiah Hogan
    James Sellers  for Rob. Rutherford, Rich'd Parker & Isaiah Hogan
    Richard Parker   for Rob. Rutherford, James Sellers & Isaiah Hogan
    The total: Rob. Rutherford = 4; Rich'd Parker = 4; Elisha Cain = 3; Matt'w Jones = 1; Rich'd Kennon =1; James Sellars = 2; Isiah Hogan = 3
    Ordered by the Court that a copy of the above poll be transmitted to his Excellency ot Governor for his approbation and appointment of anyone of the above candidates to be commissioned as Sheriff for the County of Chatham the ensuing year. -
    Signed  #                James Sellars, Francis Drake, Abnar Hill, Jed'n Harper, Rich'd Parker.
    =
    Josiah Rogers be appointed Constable the ensuing year he having given Jedethan harper Security &tc.
    =
    Matthew Drake to Richard Drake a Deed acknowledged & ordered to be registered.
    ====================================================================..

https://www.ncgenweb.us/chatham/deeds/deeds2.htm#deedA

Chatham County NCGenWeb
    ABSTRACTED DEEDS OF CHATHAM COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA
    1771-1786
    BROOKS  -   Deed Bk. B., 1775-1778
    pg. 139, Aug. 5, 1778
    John Brooks and Naomy, his wife, sell to William Black, for 150 pds, 225 acres, on the water of Bush Creek and the waters of New hope, neath the race paths and joining James Kerby's Land.
                            John (x) Brooks
    (why doesn't Naomy sign with him? There isn't a release of dower, either?)
    Wit:
    Jacob Flowers
    Richd. Parker
    James Sellars
    pg. 303, Oct. 13, 1784
    RICHARD PARKER and ANN, his wife of Chatham Co., N.C. to JOHN HOGAN of ORANGE DO., N.C, for 100 pds, 120 acres on both sides of New hope. part of a
    tract granted to RICHARD PARKER by Earl of Granville, dated 14 May, 17
    RICHARD PARKER
    ANN (A) PARKER
    Wit:
    JAMES SELLARS
    ROBT. COBB
    Chatham County Court Minutes 1774-1779
  • Jim,
    I am part of Parker DNA Family Group #7. I have had to slow down my research after 33 years but i believe that your Parker family may be part of FG#7 also. . I will be glad to help you as I have a vast knowledge of the Parker family as well as the some knowledge of the Benton family. I am also kin to the Harris of Granville Co., NC.

Wayne N. Parker Co.-Admin of the Parker DNA Project and Co-Mod of Parker Heritage
    • Thank you, Wayne. I would be very grateful for any help or knowledge you can share with me!

All I know was there was a John Benton mentioned in the 1749 will of Richard Parker (abt 1677-1752) of Chowan, NC and daughters Mary Parker and Charity Parker mentioned in the 1749 will of John Benton (abt 1680-1750), also of Chowan, NC. It does seem odd that if John Benton died first that there would be provisions for the same John Benton (as a witness) of Richard Parker's will. Are there other relationships between Parker and Benton?

My Harris family line came out of Maryland as Harrison (bef. 1693 to abt. 1780), settled for three generations in Montgomery Co., VA (1780-1808), and migrated to Overton Co., TN, where their name became Harris.

Again, Wayne, thanks for your offer of help, I hope you can fill in some of the gaps. - Jim
      • Jim,
        I am descended from Jonathan Parker and his second wife Ann Copeland. Jonathan Parker first wife was Charity Benton daughter of John Benton. Charity sister Mary married William Parker.
        Jonathan Parker father was Richard Parker who died 1750-1752 in Chowan Co., NC
        Jonathan Parker did have a half sister named Patience Parker who married Thomas Fryer and some online trees incorrect have this Patience Parker as the wife if James Sellers.
        Jonathan Parker cousin William Parker married Mary Benton and some of their decedents married into the Benton family.

More info later.
        Wayne
This reply was deleted.