Parkers from Massachusetts, New York, and Ohio

My ancestor John Parker, born probably around 1770-1780 in Massachusetts, had one son, Asa Longley Parker, in Massachusetts in 1800.  John then went to Oneida County, NY, where he had two additional children, Leonard, b. 1802, and Edith Ede, born 1809.  He may have had two older sons, Thomas and David.   The family moved to Ashland (later Richland) County, Ohio around 1820 or perhaps earlier.  Edith Ede was a teacher in Lake as a young girl and Leonard was a preacher in several counties in Ohio before moving to Iowa.  I have quite a bit of information on the three children:  Asa, Leonard, and Edith Ede, but little about their father, John.  I do not know who John married or his parents or where/when he was born. 

I recently had a tip from a biographical sketch by Silas Parker, b. 1831, of Richland County, OH, who stated that Edith Ede was his aunt.   Silas stated his father was Cephas Parker, born 1808 in Sangerfield, NY; his grandfather was William Parker (who was a hops farmer in Sangerfield); and that his great-grandfather was Captain John Parker from Lexington, MA, who led the battle at Lexington.  Silas also said that his father Cephas was a first cousin of Theodore Parker, a famous theologian from Massachusetts and grandson of Captain John Parker.  I have searched wherever I could to find a relationship between Silas' family and John's family and a relationship of any of them to Captain John Parker and Theodore but have had no luck to date, so some of the biographical data from Silas may not be accurate.

However, if Silas said Edith Ede was his aunt, which seems would be true, that would mean that either Cephas and my John Parker were brothers, or, more likely, Edith Ede was Silas' great aunt and William and John were brothers.  So, if anyone has any information on either John Parker or his brother (?) William's family (Cephas and Silas), please let me know.  This family has een one of my most frustrating brickwalls! 

Thanks for any help.

Marilee Cunningham

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Marilee,  If Capt. John Parker of Lexington is your ancester, then the lineage is from Thomas Parker b. 1609 England who settled and died in Reading, MA.   I suggest if you have a male "parker" living relative that you have him participate in the Parker DNA group which will then group your Parker ancestry without doubt, in the respective Parker line or at least rule out many Parker lines.  you can read more about it by google search Parker DNA Project, Dennis West is the web moderator.

karen parker galvin, 7th great grand daughter of emigrant James Parker b. 1617 England d. 1701 Groton, MA

• My Parker line has been a brick wall for over 50 years. My William Parker died prior to 1828, so he did not leave many records. He was born in New York about 1799 or earlier. By 1820 he was in the Wayne-Medina County area of Ohio County where he married Rachel Richey. Rachel's family lived in the part of Wayne that is now Lake Tp Ashland County and Washington Tp Holmes County, so I started looking there and have found a family that I think my William Parker belongs to.

I believe his father was William Parker who died prior to 1820 probably in Lake Township, Wayne (now Ashland) County, Ohio. His widow Elizabeth is listed there on the 1820 census.

I have identified the following as the children of William and Elizabeth Parker:

Rev Asa Longley Parker born 1800 MA died 1883 IA

Rev Leonard Parker born 1804 NY died 1881 IA

Josephus/Cephas Parker born 1807 Oneida County NY, died 1867 OH

Edith Parker mar 2nd Bader born 1809 NY died 1903 CA

I have seen the father of these children as John, instead of William, but have found no documentation for this. Calvin Parker's bio from an 1880 history says his grandfather was William Parker and Calvin was still living in 1880, so he would have known his grandfather's name.

I recently recruited a male Parker cousin to do the Y-DNA test - results in about a month.
      • Hi Valerie, just happened to get back to this site - did you get the results of the Y-DNA in regards to your Parker Family? Did you do on FamilyTreeDNA? I don’t know if you are participating in the Parker Project but i have a cousin Michael Parker who is there and would be a good way to confirm the line of the family you are in. We have sort of figured out that Asa Parker, Abel and Phebe’s son, is the father of all the kids you mentioned. It is confusing because in some places, Asa is noted as John or William, but through the line, there is no confirmation of either of those. Have you found other info on William since we have been communicating? I need to look on Ancestry again as well - my name there is modonnell05.
This reply was deleted.