Southampton, England Parker, Elzey & Barlow

Has anyone got their research back to 1500-1649 in Southampton, Hampshire, England on these surnames? PARKER, BARLOW or ELZEY?Please contact me. I am trying to find those who remained in Southampton after 1649. And connect them to my Virginia and Maryland PARKER, ELZEY and BARLOW.Thank you.Howard Blairhowardblair@bellsouth.net

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a thread I am most interested in, as Howard and i share many ancestors.

• Hi Charles. Contact me at:  howardblair48@att.net

I changed my email address.

Howard

• From some distant cousins I have some information about the ancestors of my g-g-grandmother Louisa Parker from Southampton UK.  Louisa was born in 1838 and died in 1927 (I believe).  She married Daniel Bignell.  Her g-g-grandfather was called Daniel Parker and he was born in 1656 and died in 1720.  He married a woman called Bridget Moulton.  All this happened in Southampton UK.  I have to verify which church and parish, etc.

I am pretty sure there must be a link between the Parkers who went off to America and my lot.  So I had a look at the book called "Parker Family Heritage" on the Parker Heritage site.

I looked first at generation 4, the children of George P and Abigail Barlowe.

Son George went to the colonies and had a family there.

Son Robert stayed in UK and had a family half in UK and half in the colonies.  However, his children's births were contemporary with my Daniel, so that probably rules out him as an ancestor.  I found this info on www.easternshoreheritage.com/descendants/some_descendants_of_robert...

There were three other boys called Edward, William and Thomas, who are not mentioned in George's will, so I suppose that they died young.

Generation 3 the children of John and Marie Abigail Gerard.

I presume given the date of death that William died young.

Does anybody know what happened to Rafe?

George is the father of generation 4.

Generation 2 The children of George P and Margery Carpenter

I reckon N° 1 son George to have been born after 1570.  Does anybody know what happened to him?

From another source I found a William, who must be the famous Captain William Parker.

Elsewhere I have found that this couple had Henry and Thomas.  Does anybody know what happened to them?

So I think that Rafe, Henry, George and Thomas for the moment offer some possiblities of a link between the American and UK lines of the Parkers of Southampton.

Marie Gerard sounds French to me.  There was a Huguenot community living in Southampton.  I find it strange that Marie is not written Mary if it is an English woman's name.

Also Abigail Barlowe's mother was called Rishton.  This is a very northern English name. I believe that Rishton is near Blackburn in Lancashire.  This is interesting because I have a theory that the Parkers of Southampton are related to the Parkers of Browsholme.  May be the Parkers were not the only northern family to go south.  During the 1400s there was a civil war in England called the War of the Roses.  Richard III lost.  His main supporters were in the north of England and it may be that they suffered economically from his fall from power and decided move away and start afresh.  Also there were an awful lot of Ps of Browsholme.  I have seen some generations with 15 children.  The younger sons must have had to go away to make a living.

I would love to hear from anybody who can throw some light on Henry, Thomas, George or Rafe.

• Hello Sarah.   I am researching the Parker Family History of my Gt grandfather John Parker his family lived in the Hamlet of Middle, North Stoneham, Botley and Colden Common (nr Winchester) , England.  Reading through your email above you mention a Louisa Parker marrying a Daniel Bignell. Bignell is a well known name in Eastleigh (about five miles from Southampton, England). On researching the Parker family  I came across a large group of the family living in the Botley area of Hampshire, again about five miles outside of Southampton.  The Botley BMD have been downloaded on the internet so you may have some luck on this site. My Parker's in the 1800's were working for the Fleming Willis family who owned a very large estate with gardens by Capability Brown in North Stoneham and a property on the  Isle of Wight.  One of my uncles went on to be the first superintendent (bailiff) of Southampton Common.

You also mention a book that you read regarding Parker Heritage can you tell me where I may view this book.

Thanking you

regards Julie

• Hi Julie,

I'm also researching Parkers from Colden Common and Stoneham, as well as Otterbourne and Bishopstoke.  I would love to compare notes with you. I'm most interested in William Parker b. 1826 in Otterbourne m. Charlotte Harwood b. 1826 in Colden Common, but any Parkers from those areas are more likely than not family.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Aislin

• Hi Julie,

The Parker Family Heritage book is on the Parker Heritage site if I remember rightly.  Interestingly,  Louisa Parker had several children on the IOW.  I shall have a look this weekend and find out where.  Thanks for the info.  Shall get back to you on that.

Sarah

• Hi Sarah. Many of the names you mention are of my PARKER tree. Such as George Parker and Margery Carpenter, John Parker and Abigail Geerard, George Parker and Abigail Barlow(e).

I also have some data I hope is correct on Capt. William Parker, the pirate.

With these names I give, can you make a connection?

Also. we can share data.

Howard

• No, can't make the connection.  My oldest ancestor is born about 30 years AFTER yours went off to the colonies.  So, if there is a connection, he has to be descended from a collateral line, someone in generation 1, 2 or 3 as in the Parker Family Heritage book.  I want to share data too.  I have a few questions to ask my cousin who supplied it all, because there are a few blanks and then I shall send it on.

Regards,

Sarah MacG.

• Hi Howard, Just found this site and looking forward to trading info.  My Parker line came to Virginia I believe from the Southampton area.  They were in the Colonies by mid to late 1600's.  I have wills that go back to William Parker born in 1720.  I don't have information on anyone left in Southhampton after 1649 but would love to.  If and when you get any, I would really appreciate seeing it.  Take care.  Barbara Drager singnkatt@yahoo.com
    • Hi Barbara. I wish I had information of Parker's that remained in Southampton after 1649, but I don't. I have yet to find anything on them. Contact me and we can exchange data.Howard

howardblair@bellsouth.net

This reply was deleted.