Ancestry.com - Beginner Questions

Hi everybody. I bought one genealogy software, The Master Genealogist. Then I joined ancestry.com and began to add data. How do I get the data off ancestry to be saved to my hard drive or to TMG program. If I ever quit being a member of Ancestry, will I lose my data and info? And what is GEDCOM anyway? I have information from my family, but trying to research it and document it is new. As a newcomer, I am finding it way too easy to click and add siblings and children and parents to my ancestors. What is the right way to do all this? Thanks Debbie Harris

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks guys, I will study how to do that. Now the other part - when you add other ancestry trees (example Elias W.'s many children when different people list different names and number), do you check first and add, or add and then check. What else do you look at besides the census? PS Ray this question is for you. What avenues do you take to further your research when you can't readily find a death date - like for Elias W. Debbie
    • Deb, I use lots and lots of notes. When I find a person and date that match my search,I jot down info, then check census and other files to verify that this is the correct info. When I can't find a death date (i.e.Elias W.), then i pass it over for later. Death dates were not required in TN until 1909, and dropped in 1913, resumed in 1914. Many dates and deaths were not recorded, and dates are just luck. Many files are not available. Even though it is public info, the state of TN wants us to PAY someone in an office to get off their butt and search for records, and you pay if they find or not.
  • Debbie, gedcom is the language understood by geneology programs. In Ancestry, under manage tree, download your gedcome, find how to import to your program.
  • Hi Debbie, ancestry owns the software FamilyTreeMaker so they are fully compatible. Most other programs will let you download data into them. Look for info on TMG about importing data. Good Luck! The second program I bought was FTM, Mike
This reply was deleted.