Replies

• I am studying the Parkers of Wilkes Co. My paternal GG GF was said to be born in Wilkes Co. NC - ca 1810-15. He first appears in the 1850 census in Johnson Co. TN with wife Elizabeth Fair/Farr and 7children. The children say they were born in Ashe Co. NC. on various documents. John and Elizabeth have several more children in TN, probably were tenant farmers, and then appear in the ASH Co. Federal Census in 1870. John died between 1900 and 1910 and is buried in the Burkett-Parker Cemetery in Ashe Co. Elizabeth died in 1897 and is buried in the same cemetery. My father's brother participated in the Parker Y-DNA Surname study and doesn't match any of the family groups at this time. I have collected Parker information in NC for years and would be happy to share information.
    • Hi Shirley!
      My father told me years ago that our Parkers came from Wilkes or Surry Co., NC. I am having such a time trying to find any kind of connection. According to DNA, I am in Group 1, P-109, the oldest and most prolific group of Parkers, I have been told. Others in my Group-1 have come from the Northampton area. The only thing that I know for sure is, that my great-grandfather, James Samuel Parker, was born in Washington Co., GA on May 14, 1837. His parents married and came from North Carolina to Georgia. His obituary says that his his father died when he was 8 years old. That would be around 1845. I cannot find his parents names. But I next find James Samuel in 1854 when he is about 17 years old. He works as an overseer on the farm of Thomas Chambers in Shorterville, Henry Co., AL. In 1860 he marries Frances (Fannie) Cornelia Norris. After the WBTS, he comes home and goes into the ministry. He helps to plant 9 Baptist churches in Southwest Georgia within the Bethel Association. He eventually moves back to GA from South AL and into Clay County (GA). He dies August 03, 1882 and is buried at Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Clay Co., GA near Ft. Gaines. He and his wife have a beautiful headstone.
      • Oh I wish that I could help you, but our DNA is not in Family #1. In fact there has been no match posted on the Dennis West site - my paternal uncle is P23, but I know there is one orphan who is a match. Research in the Northeast is so much easier!
        Shirley
  • Hello,Charlene. I am Group 22, and there is a group here Parker Family 22. We believe our immigrant,John Parker born in England, is buried in Wilkes County in Parker Cemetery. I have been trying to obtain a list of graves there to little avail. His son John moved to Tennessee in 1810, raised his family , and then moved to Whitley County ( it was Knox County then).A list of known descendants that are members here are listed on the Parker Family Group. I am P-186 on FTDNA site.
  • hello, Regina, and welcome. The group Parker Family 22 are descendants of Wilkes County. I am DNA tested to John M. Parker who was born there, and his father, John Parker is supposedly buried in Parker Cemetery there. We also have members that are related to other lines.
    • Raymond, I cannot find which DNA Group you are in. Are you in family group #1? When I get away from this research, it is hard to remember where I was when I got distracted. I am in Group 1, P-102 (Edwin Parker) who is my brother. My father told me that our Parkers came from Wilkes Co., NC. My earliest ancestor was John Parker who came from NC to Washington Co., GA in the 1830's. Any help would be appreciated!
      Charlene
This reply was deleted.