Capt. William Parker (the Pirate)

I have searched for my ancestor, Capt. William Parker of England, who was a pirate and pilaged Mexico. This was the later part on 1500's. I haven't been able to find much on him. Would anyone have anything to share about his life, spouse and children?Thanks!Howard Blair

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Vicky and Mike. Until we can prove Wiliam is not from the Southampton line of Parker's, we should still concider him as our skeleton in the closet. Howard

PS, the Will seems to say he is or maybe of the Southampton line.
  • Vicky. this is funny. Just yesterday I got this email from a fellow researcher about William Parker. Open the link and there's more than what I had on William. And I hope since you living over there, can get to more information on William.I was believing he was a relative of mine, but now I am not so sure. I have questions. Howard
    ------------------------------------------

Howard,

It has been a while since we corresponded and I'm still working on my Parker and Wilcox lines. I stumbled on a book called "Ancient Sagadahoc" by E. J. Chandler. This book states that William Parker b. 6-16-1560 was the son of James Parker of Shobrook. A portion of this book is on google at the following address (click on link):

http://books.google.com/books?id=Rhx4kXIIxpcC&pg=PA11&lpg=P...

If by chance this link does not work, then go to google books and search on the title "Ancient Sagadahoc". Page 5 is where the author talks about the captain's parentage. I thought you might be interested.

Page
    • I find it hard to believe that William was the son of James Parker of Shobrook to be honest because of the Wills which definitely tie him to the Southampton Parkers.

However I'm unable to read any of the contents of the Ancient Sagadoahoc on Google, so don't know why the author believes that he's from Shobrook. Are you able to read any of this book? I don't know if it's just blocked because I'm in the UK.
    • Vicky and Howard, Great reading. Thanks for posting this info. I have no known tie to this line but am fascinated by your research and envy your knowledge of your Parker line. Mike
  • Hello Howard,

I'm believe that this William Parker was my 9x Great Uncle. My Parkers come from St Mary Extra, Southampton and just this week a fellow Parker researcher has connected our Parkers with him. I actually live about 12 miles from Plymouth and am a member of St Andrew's Church where this William was married. He was mayor of Plymouth in 1601 I believe, was a friend of Sir Francis Drake, and lived in a house which is called the Merchant House. It is just around the corner from St Andrew's Church and is a fine example of a Tudor building. I've walked past it many times but never knew until this weekend that one of my ancestors owned it!

I don't really know anything about him than what you probably already do. I've seen that you have a copy of his will on your Eastern Shore Parkers website which I'm a member of and there's a bit about his background on the Plymouth City Council website.

Vicky

The Merchant's House is now a museum and is currently closed for the winter. When it reopens in a couple of weeks I hope to go inside and look around.
This reply was deleted.