Parkers in Connecticut

Looking for anyone who has Parkers from Connecticut in their tree.  I have a Joel Parker born 1796 in New Haven, Connecticut. Moved to Sampson County, NC Married a Sally Flemming had 12 children was Superintendent of Schools for Sampson County in 1860, died in 1865.  Hoping to locate Parents and family in Connecticut .

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Over the weekend I visited the Connecticut State Library in Hartford.  Looking through vital records for Joel, this is what I found:

Joel feb 4 1723 Wallingford edward jerusha  v2 p791
    dec 25 1746 m susanna hotchkiss  wallingford v9 p560
    s joel susannah b jun 17 17[54]  walingford v15 p686
    d dec 27 1761 wallingford  v14 p530
    s Benjamin Mercy may 2, 1768
         m abigail hart dec 17 1795  simsbury v tm4  p212
    s gamaliel martha b apr 17 1783 wallingford  v23 p494

None of these seem like the one you are looking for.

• I will be microfisching in Hartford within the month.  I'll have a look for Joel.  Is there anyone else who wants someone looked up in Connecticut town records?

• No luck on this one.  I find 6 Joel Parkers born in Mass between 1790 and 1800, but none in Conn.  I didn't think to look for Sally Fleming, but will put her on my list to look for.  I went through Ancestry.com and Parker in America.

• Richard,

If you're descended from James Parker (born in Connecticut 1752 married Anna Doty daughter of Samuel and Ketura Doty), I would be very interested in the results of your yDNA tests. I would greatly appreciate it if you would be willing to share your results.

• I am evidently a member of Parker Family group 10, descendent from James Parker of Groton.  This fits with the narrative I have developed.

• More than happy to share results when they come in, I mailed the kit in yesterday. 

I suspect the descent to be from James b 1708 Boston, Mass d Coventry (don't have the year handy), whose son Elijah (b 1730) by Tabitha Strong (Tabitha died a week later, James re-marries Elizabeth Skinner), Elijah has a first James in Belchertown Ma who dies at the age of 6, then has a second James ca end of the rev war - who has Henry.  But I have no real proof of that descent, just names, family groups, immigration routes and places which coincide.

• I don't know how closely related we are, but it would be great to have the yDNA information for future use. My Parker line goes like this:

Grandmother Maggie Olivia Parker b.4-29-1883 d.Apr-1981

gGrandfather Washington Parker b.1-15-1852 d.6-24-1920

ggGrandfather George F Parker b.3-20-1812 d.11-6-1899

gggGrandfather Samuel Parker b.1782 d.3-4-1850

ggggGrandfather James Parker b.1752 d.1835

• Are these Saybrook Parkers or Coventry Parkers?  My suspected Parkers are from Coventry.

• I don't know the answer to that. James Parker was born in Virginia and died in Coles, Illinois. Are you not descended from that James Parker?

• Its interesting that James David Parker just posted about the New Haven Parkers. I've always wondered about Katherine Jane Brown's assertion that James, husband of Anna Doty, was from Connecticut. She referenced the research of Francis Smith Brownlee, Antecedents and descendants of Margaret Ann Rhoades Smith, published in 1957. Her research cites that James was brother to Captain Jonathan Parker, FindAGrave memorial #52130295, 2nd Connecticut Regiment in the Rev. war. Jonanthan was from Willington, CT and according to some he is the son of Nehemiah and Betsey Parker. All three are listed together in the Willington church records www.rockvillemama.com/willington/church_recs.htm.

Nehemiah is listed by some on Ancestry as born in Barnstable, Massachusetts.

Has anyone from that line done DNA?
                Willington Church Records
This reply was deleted.