Information on Parker DNA FG#7 in England

OK it is that time again for this researcher to go out on a limb! Today September 20, 2022, I am posting what I believe to be the family of FG#7 in England. I want to ask that all the researchers that use this information to be sure to include the names of Andrew Wells, John Lunch and Wayne N. Parker as the researcher of William Parker born about 1604 in Barley, Hertfordshire, England died about 1654 in Nansemond County, VA.

I have had this information in my computer as a separate files for some years and I am now combing both files. This information will expand DNA FG#7 back to England. We now need to find a male Parker in England to do a y-DNA test. NOTE: We also need to find more paper trail information, I would encourage all the members of DNA Family Group #7 to help in proving this research.

Information posted below is from the research file of Wayne N. Parker as work in progress!

Wayne Nelson Parker

Descendants of Parker

Generation No. 1

1. PARKER1 was born in Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

Notes for PARKER:

Based on the research of Andrew Wells and John Lynch and myself (WNP) I am adding the information on the Parker family of William Parker of Barley, Hertfordshire, England to my file on September 20, 2022. I have had this information in my computer as a separate files for some years and I am now combing both files. This information will expand DNA FG#7 back to England. We now need to find a male Parker in England to do a y-DNA test.

NOTE: need to find more paper trail information,

NOTE: Receive this e-mail some years ago and I decided to place the information

here in case I am able some day to add this family to my file WNP

PARKER family 1600-1700 of Barley, Hertfordshire to Virginia

Replies: 5

Hi there,

Not sure if you are still looking, but I have a couple of Parkers from Barley in Hertfordshire in my family tree. Anne Parker born 1/10/1655 in Barley married Thomas Dawes(b1672 Braughing d1717) and is mentioned in his will - he was a yeoman and owned several properties. Anne Parker's parents were Thomas Parker and Martha. Not sure if that is of any use to you but the records may show Anne to have siblings who may have emigrated.

Regards, Sally

More About PARKER:

DNA: Family Group #7 (FG#7)

Children of PARKER are:

2. i. THOMAS2 PARKER, b. Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

3. ii. HENRYE PARKER, b. Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

Generation No. 2

2. THOMAS2 PARKER (PARKER1) was born in Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

More About THOMAS PARKER:

Children of THOMAS PARKER are:

i. THOMAS3 PARKER, b. Abt. 1563, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

Christening: March 26, 1563, Barley, Hertfordshire, England

ii. MARGARET PARKER, b. Abt. 1564, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

More About MARGARET PARKER:

Christening: September 24, 1565, Barley, Hertfordshire, England

iii. HENRY PARKER, b. Abt. 1566, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

More About HENRY PARKER:

Christening: January 25, 1566/67, Barley, Hertfordshire, England

iv. MARIE PARKER, b. Abt. 1569, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

More About MARIE PARKER:

Christening: December 10, 1570, Barley, Hertfordshire, England

4. v. WILLIAM PARKER, b. Abt. 1572, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

vi. GRACE PARKER, b. Abt. 1576, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

More About GRACE PARKER:

Christening: June 26, 1577, Barley, Hertfordshire, England

3. HENRYE2 PARKER (PARKER1) was born in Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

Child of HENRYE PARKER is:

5. i. RICHARD3 PARKER, b. 1568, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Generation No. 3

4. WILLIAM3 PARKER (THOMAS2, PARKER1) was born Abt. 1572 in Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

Notes for WILLIAM PARKER:

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/parker/26220/

E-mail from Andrew Wells
    Attached is an Excel workbook which allows for some sorting and analysis of certain Christening records from England.  We know the given names of Thomas, Richard, William, Peter and Francis are dominant with the Parkers of colonial Nansemond County.  Therefore I've assembled a worksheet covering all of the available English records for Parkers with those given names from 1590 to 1625.  Regardless of whom may be the immigrant ancestor(s), this allows us to see a distribution of the various families during this time period.  Source: British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd edition.
     We also know that a William Parker stated he was 20 years old in Virginia, 7 Feb 1624/25 from a muster roll.  This is most likely to have been William Parker of Barley, Hertfordshire, who was Christened there 16 Feb 1605 O.D.  William was a son of William who appears to be the one who was also Christened there 30 Nov 1573, son of Thomas.  The children of William Sr. are apparently Thomas, William, John, Marye and Elizabeth.  This is from an analysis of an additional worksheet assembled with all of the Barley, Hertfordshire records for 100 years from 1550 to 1650 for any Parker.  I'm convinced looking carefully at the village of Barley, that this is the ancestral home of the Nansemond Parkers.  I examined the four other villages which had at least two of the dominant Parker given names, and Barley stands out way ahead of the rest in my opinion.
    Barley, Hertfordshire

Parker Family Christening Records in England
     John Lynch Lynch February 20, 2013 at 09:41:57
    Parker's of Hertfordshire, England from Christening Records

6. Barley, Hertfordshire, England

A. Parent- John Parker: William 12 Sep 1563; John 23 Mar 1566, Henry 21 Oct 1571; Mathewe 29 Jun 1575.

B. Parent- Thomas Parker: Thomas 26 Mar 1563; Margaret 24 Sep 1565; Henry 25 Jan 1567; Marie 10 Dec 1570; William 30 Nov 1573; Grace 26 Jun 1577.

C. Parent- Henrye Parker: Richard 19 Sep 1568.

D. Parent- Agnes Parker: John 05 Jul 1579.

E. Parent- Henry Parker: Susanna 16 Feb 1583.

F. Parent- Richard Parker:William 06 Jan 1589; Richard 19 Dec 1591; Thomas 30 Jun 1594; Henrye 12 Dec 1598.

G. Parent- William Parker (wife Agnes?): Thomas 1603; William 16 Feb 1605, John 17 Oct 1607; Marye 28 Jan 1609.

H. Parent- William Parker: William 15 Dec 1590; John 03 Sep 03 Sep 1592.

I. Parent- William Parker & Margaret: Thomas 1603.

J. Parent- William Parker: William 16 Feb 1605.

K. Parent- William Parker & Margery: John 07 Oct 1607; Marye 28 Jan 1609.

L. Parent- Henry Parker: Stephen 26 Dec 1602; Judy 26 Dec 1602.

M. Parent- Henry Parker: Marye 15 Aug 1602; Mariorie 1603.

Research by WNP 9-20-2022
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NR47-J9K

William Parker
    Vital • England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    SAVE
    EDIT
    Name
    William Parker
    Sex
    Male
    Christening Date
    16 Feb 1605
    Christening Place
    Barley, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom
    Christening Place (Original)
    Barley, Hertford, England
    Father's Name
    William Parker
    Father's Sex
    Male
    Event Type
    Christening
    William Parker's Parents and Siblings
    OPEN ALL
    William Parker
    Father
    M

Image Unavailable
    Document Information
    Digital Folder Number
    Microfilm Number
    Originating System
    ODM
    Indexing Batch
    C07212-1

Collection Information
    England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    Cite This Record
    "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NR47-J9K : 19 March 2020), William Parker, 1605.
    Copy Citation
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NR47-NGS

Name
    Thomas Parker
    Sex
    M
    Thomas Parker's Spouses and Children
    CLOSE ALL
    William Parker
    Son
    M
    Name
    William Parker
    Sex
    Male
    Christening Date
    30 Nov 1573
    Christening Place
    Barley, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom
    Christening Place (Original)
    Barley, Hertford, England
    Father's Name
    Thomas Parker
    Father's Sex
    Male
    Event Type
    Christening

Image Unavailable
    Document Information
    Digital Folder Number
    Microfilm Number
    Originating System
    ODM
    Indexing Batch
    C07212-1

Collection Information
    England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    Cite This Record
    "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NR47-NGS : 19 March 2020), Thomas Parker in entry for William Parker, 1573.
    Copy Citation
    Attached in Family Tree to
    Thomas Parker
    Deceased • M521-ZLJ
    Similar Records
    No similar records were found.

More About WILLIAM PARKER:
    Christening: November 30, 1573, Barley, Hertfordshire, England

Children of WILLIAM PARKER are:
    i. THOMAS4 PARKER, b. Abt. 1602, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

Christening: 1603, Barley, Hertfordshire, England

6. ii. WILLIAM PARKER, b. Abt. 1604, Barley, Hertfordshire, England; d. 1654, Nansemond Co., VA.
    iii. JOHN PARKER, b. Abt. 1606, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

More About JOHN PARKER:
    Christening: October 17, 1607, Barley, Hertfordshire, England

iv. MARYE PARKER, b. Abt. 1608, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

More About MARYE PARKER:
    Christening: January 28, 1608/09, Barley, Hertfordshire, England

v. ELIZABETH PARKER, b. Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

More About ELIZABETH PARKER:
    Christening: Barley, Hertfordshire, England

5. RICHARD3 PARKER (HENRYE2, PARKER1) was born 1568 in Barley, Hertfordshire, England.

Child of RICHARD PARKER is:
    i. RICHARD4 PARKER, b. 1591, Barley, Hertfordshire, England.
    Parker Family Christening Reco - Genealogy.com
    Parker: Parker's of Hertfordshire, England from Christenin... Read more on Genealogy.com!
    • Generation No. 4

6. WILLIAM4 PARKER (WILLIAM3, THOMAS2, PARKER1)1 was born Abt. 1604 in Barley, Hertfordshire, England, and died 1654 in Nansemond Co., VA. He married ? Abt. 1625 in VA.

Notes for WILLIAM PARKER:
      Based on the research of Andrew Wells and John Lynch and myself (WNP) I am adding the information on the Parker family of William Parker of Barley, Hertfordshire, England to my file on September 20, 2022. I have had this information in my computer as a separate files for some years and I am now combing both files. This information will expand DNA FG#7 back to England. We now need to find a male Parker in England to do a y-DNA test.NOTE: need to find more paper trail information,

I (Wayne N. Parker) started my genealogy research in 1991 at the Will Clayton Genealogy Library in Houston, TX. After I retired in 2008, I now use the Internet for just about all of my research. I try to find and use primary sources first then secondary sources using wills, deeds, Bible records, court records census and tax records and now I use DNA test results.In 2012 I started the project of trying to connect all the members of Parker DNA FG#7 back to our common ancestor William Parker born 1604 . On April 22, 2018 I was appointed Co-Admin of the Parker DNA Project https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/parker/dna-results
      My direct Parker line is from Nansemond County, Virginia, Chowan Co., NC, Granville Co., NC, Bedford Co., TN, Choctaw, Webster, and Montgomery Counties of Mississippii. William Parker born in England and died in Nansamond Co., VA is my oldest known Parker ancestor. I have had my y-DNA tested and was matched into the Parker DNA Project as a membe
      The name of Parker is ultimately of French occupational origins. It described an official in charge of the extensive hunting parks of a king or wealthy landowner. The derivation is from the words "parchier" or "parquier" meaning "park- keeper". NOTE: Not all the Parker families listed in my file are part of FG#7 as I also research many of the other Parker families when they have interconnect with the other families in my file.

NOTE: There are three different Richard Parker living in the late 1600's in VA and so far as I know, no researcher has ever found any primary or secondary sources of information nor have been any y-DNA results that can connect the different Richard Parker as being kin to each other yet so many researchers are still combining and mixing the families of the three different Richard Parker into one family!!!!!
      The Richard Parker of FG #7 is from the Parker family from Nansemond Co., VA and he IS NOT REPEAT NOT the Dr. Richard Parker of Charles City Co., VA, Henrico Co., VA and who was a descendant of the Parker family of Browsholme, England!!!
      The Richard Parker of FG #7 is not the Richard Parker of Surry Co., VA either!!!

One of the newest tools that we can unitized in genealogy research is DNA testing. Y-DNA testing results can tell us that we have a common male ancestor, the results can not tell us how we are kin only that we are kin. The Y chromosome, which is passed directly from father to son, unchanged, from generation to generation. Unchanged, that is, unless a mutation—a random, naturally occurring, usually harmless change—occurs. The mutation, known as a marker, acts as a beacon; it can be mapped through generations because it will be passed down from the man in whom it occurred to his sons, their sons, and every male in his family for many thousands of years.
      These mutations establish genetic signatures, called haplotypes, that define particular branches within a family tree. The haplotypes of tested individuals can be used to confirm, or alter as necessary, the structure of family trees which in the past had to be based on paper-based historical research, family tradition and logical inferences that could be drawn from them.
      NOTE: All the Parker families of Parker FG#7 can be traced back to one common male ancestor using y-DNA testing but DNA testing can only tell us we are kin but not how. Thus the results can be used by researchers as a tool to help find the paper trail that will tell us how.
      The P#s were assigned by the "old" Parker DNA Project we now use Kit numbers.
      Note: I will use this as a way to connection the Parker families till we can find the correction back to our common ancestor.

Researching the following Y-DNA Parker Family Group #7 https://www.familytreedna.com/
      I want to give a great big thank you to my first cousin Homie Parker Holly for starting me down the long winding path in 1991, to my Daddy who was a "walking computer" on our family history. My Dad and his mother were oral story tellers and so am I. I also want to thank my late cousin Stephen M. Lawson for all the work he did. His web site is still up (Sept. 2013) at this link. http://kinnexions.com/smlawson/parkerr.htm#EParker THIS Website is no longer on-line, 2016 A big thanks to cousin Paul Parker of Shelbyville, Bedford Co., TN ( Paul and his brother Dale) still own Elijah Parker (my line) old home place. Located in the Raus Community of Bedford County, Parkers’ Farm is one of the oldest in Bedford Co., TN. Paul has many of the record from Elijah Parker, these records have help me in 1991 trace our Parker back to Richard Parker I.
      I want to thank all the members of FG#7 who are helping me with this research and thanks to all of my cousins who have shared their work with me. I appreciate all the information and encouragement you all have provided to me. Wayne Nelson Parker P239.

Since the Courthouses of Nansemond Co., VA have burned down several time, we have very few records left from the early years, therefore I have used the land records to prove the kinship and genealogy of the early Parker family that lived there. Think of William Parker land as a starting point that ties the first three Parker generations together and that each one of the Parker family generations always added to their family land holding in Nansemond Co., VA.
        Much of the land that they were buying was always moving them to the southern end of Nansemond Co., VA. So by the time William Parker great-grand sons started buying their land they have moved way south in Nansemond Co., VA close to the border of NC. 
      Their land holding in 1728 was in the south of Nansemond Co., VA going from west to east was Richard Parker III then the families of his Parker cousins who were descendant of his uncles Francis and Thomas Parker.
      Now we come to years 1729 after the border between VA and NC was resurveyed and the border was moved north. (May be as much as 15 miles I haven't found that exact figure yet) Land that had been in VA now lay in NC. Richard Parker III now lived just over the border in what is now Drum Hill, NC. Now he held land that was still in Nansemond Co., VA and also in Chowan Co., NC. His sons also own land in both VA and NC and his Parker family cousins also held land in both states. 
      Of course when I started to research the land records, I had to work in reverse that is going back in time, so I started with Richard Parker III (since this is my direct Parker line) and worked back to his great-grandfather William Parker. SEE Land records research under Richard Parker I and Richard Parker II file. So today many of the descendant of William Parker still move back and fourth between the two states. See more about the use of land records below.

Thanks to Raymond Parker Fouts and her great book "Following The Land". She was a very dear lady.
      NOTE: There are a least three different Y-DNA Groups of Parker families in her book!!!!!

I have tried to do the best research that I can but please check the information before you use it, errors happens. Corrections and updates always welcome. THANKS Wayne N. Parker"
      At this time July 2013 I am not sure if William Parker had a son named Thomas Parker due to Y-DNA research this line may belongs to FG#1,so I have separated the Thomas Parker born Bet. 1626 - 1630 line from William Parker born 1604.

Based on my research (Wayne Nelson Parker) This William Parker born 1604 (FG#7) is not the son of Captain William Parker "The Mariner". I have an abstract of the will for Captain William Parker dated January 16,1617 proven December 4,1619. THERE WAS NO SON NAMED William Parker listed in his will !!!!!!!!! IN FACT BASED ON Y-DNA, William Parker "The Mariner" belongs to Parker FG#12 NOT FG#7!!!
      The year of William Parker birth of 1604 is found below, for when the census was taken on February 7,1624/25 his age is 20 years old. Yes he came over in 1616 in the Charles and some researches think that means he was born in 1596 but that is not what the record below shows.

http://www.virtualjamestown.org/
      In June 1624, King James I assumed responsibilty for the colony of Virginia after he dissolved the Virginia Company of London. He ordered Virginia's leaders to make a record of the colony's inhabitants and their provisions. This census-known as the 1624/5 Muster-is the first comprehensive account of households in British North America. In addition, it is the only extant census for seventeenth-century Virginia. A 1623/4 list of the colony's habitants noted who survived the 1622 Indian attack and where they lived. This list did not include details about the relations among the settlers or their ages.
      The 1624/5 Muster is a house-to-house survey that contains information about the location of households in Virginia, the individuals in each household and the ties that connected the colony's early residents to one another. The census-takers also made note of each household's provisions, buildings, boats, arms and ammunition, and livestock. The names of individuals who died during 1624 is part of the muster.
      Name “William Parker “ Muster “Susan Bush “ Status “servant” Location “Elzabeth Cittie” Corporation “ Elzabeth Cittie “ Age “20” Ship “Charles” Date of Arrival “1616” Muster Date “7 February 1624/5”.
      http://archive.org/stream/cavalierspioneer00nuge/cavalierspioneer00... vu.txt
      Full text of "Cavaliers and pioneers; abstracts of Virginia land patents and grants, 1623-1800"
      Cavaliers and Pioneers Abslracls of Virginia Land Patents and Grants 1623 -1800
      NELL MARION NUGENT
      Clement Evand (servant of Susan Bush). Aged 30. In the Edwin, 1616.
      JOHN BUSH, of Kiccoughtan, 300 acres, Dec. 1, 1624, Page 31. Gent., who came to this country in the Neptune in 1618. Lying within the parish
      of Kiccoughtan in Elizabeth City Corp., adj. Lt. Albino Lupo, Wm. Julian & Wm. Prickett. For the trans, out of England of his wife,Elizabeth, his 2 children Elizabeth & Mary, who all came in the Guift in 1619, and 100 acs. for trans, of 2 servts: Thomas Hand and Wm. Parker, in the Charles in 1621.
      • WILLIAM JULIAN, 150 acres, p. 32, Sept. 20, 1624. Yeoman & ancient planter, of Kiccoughtan, Eliz. City. His first divident, adj. John Bush. For his own personal right and trans, out of England of Nicholas Abbott who came in the William & Thomas in 1621.

LIEUT. ALBIANO LUPO, 350 acres, Sept. 1, 1624, Page 33. Gent., and ancient planter of Kiccoughtan in the corporation of Elizabeth City. By a small branch dividing this from the land of his wife Elizabeth Lupo, near land of John Bush. For his personal adventure and the trans, out of England of 5 Servts: John Slaughter & John Hayes who came in the George in 1617, Hester Wheeler in the George in 1619, Daniel
        Palmer in the Warwick in 1621, whose passage he defrayed unto John Downham, of the parish of Kiccoughtan, & Elizabeth Hayden in the London Merchant in 1620.

ELIZABETH LUPO, wife of Albiano Lupo, Gent., of Kiccoughtan, in the Corp. of Eliz. Citty, 50 acs., 20 Sept. 1624, p. 34. Swd. upon the broad creek by the old pines, Ewd. upon a br. of same dividing it from land of her husband. Due by order of Court out of England.

THOMAS BUSH, 100 acs. Up. Co. of New Norf., 26 July 1638, p. 578.

I found this information about the ship Charles. Hope I can find some more information that at can be traced back to original records.
        Wayne N. Parker FG#7 researcher for P239
        http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/jefferson_papers/mtjser8.html
        END OF MAY, 1622 (page) 639

CCXXXIX. Virginia Company. “ A NOTE OF THE SHIPPING, MEN, AND PROUISIONS SENT AND PROUIDED FOR Virginia, … IN THE YEERE 1621.”

END of MAY, 1622

Printed. (1) A Broadside. (2) Collection of broadside James I, No. 194
        (1) Document in New York Public Library. (2) Society of Antiquaries, London
        List of Records No. 223

A note of shipping, men, and prouisions sent and prouided for Virginia, by the RIGHT Honorable Henry Earle of South-hampton, and the Comany, and other priuate Aduenturers, in the yeere 1621. &c.

Ships and People

1 The Elianor 30. Tun: in May 1621. with …................. 10. Persons
        2 The George 180 Tun: in July.........................................120
        3 The Charles 120. Tun: in July........................................080
        _____( list of 4-24 ships that I did not list WNP 11-16- 2012) _____
        They shipped 1550 persons Cattell 80.
        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vaelizab/

Elizabeth City County, one of the eight original shires, was created in 1634. It was originally known by the name of Kecoughton. The name was later changed to Elizabeth City County which became extinct in 1952 when it was incorporated into the City of Hampton. The City of Hampton was burned during the Revolutionary War, The War of 1812 and during the Civil War. Some records exist from 1634 to 1861. The records are complete from 1865 to present day.
        Elizabeth City (Virginia Company)
        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Elizabeth City (or citiie as it was then called) was one of four incorporations established in the Virginia Colony in 1619 by the proprietor, the Virginia Company. The plantations and developments were divided into four "incorporations" or "cities", as they were called. These were Charles City, Elizabeth City, Henrico City, and James City. The latter included the seat of government for the colony at Jamestown. Each of the four "citiies" (sic) extended across the James River, the main conduit of transportation of the era. In 1634, under Royal authority, a portion became Elizabeth City Shire, later Elizabeth City County.
        Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_City_(Virginia_Company)"

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~george/countyformations/vir... rmationmaps.html
        Four Original "Incorporations"-----------------------------------------1617
        Eight Original "Shires", Immediately Referred to as "Counties"---------1634
          Accawmack formed-----------------------------------------------------1634
          Charles City formed--------------------------------------------------1634
          Charles River formed-------------------------------------------------1634
          Elizabeth City formed------------------------------------------------1634
          Henrico formed-------------------------------------------------------1634
          James City formed----------------------------------------------------1634
          Warrosquoyacke formed------------------------------------------------1634
          Warwick River formed-------------------------------------------------1634
        New Norfolk formed from Elizabeth City---------------------------------1636
        Lower Norfolk formed from New Norfolk----------------------------------1637
        Upper Norfolk formed from New Norfolk----------------------------------1637
         New Norfolk ceases to exist------------------------------------------1637
        Nansemond (name changed from Upper Norfolk)----------------------------1645
         Upper Norfolk ceases to exist----------------------------------------1645
        Isle of Wight (name changed from Warrosquyoake)------------------------1637
         Warrosquyoake ceases to exist----------------------------------------1637
        Nansemond:
        Nansemond County, VA was first outposted as a part of the London Company in the early 1600’s, but this early outpost was not continuously occupied until 1621. Dr. Hugh Williamson, M.D., LLD in his The History of North Carolina, pub. By Thomas Dodson, PA, stated, "A small party was detached by order of Captian Smith (1621) from Jamestown to the post that had formerly been taken on the Nansemond River. From that Settlement, emigrants commenced in a short time to the waters of the Albemarle Sound, by way of Blackwater and Bennet’s Creek. Blackwater Creek is the headwaters of the Chowan River and either Blackwater or Bennetts Creek would have been the normal from Nansemond County to Chowan Precinct in North Carolina."

Formed as Upper Norfolk in 1637 from New Norfolk County.
        Renamed in 1642.
        Records were destroyed in 1866.
        Incorporated as the City of Nansemond in 1972. Merged with the City of Suffolk in 1974.
        All records transferred to City of Suffolk. Records include: Marriage from 1866, Land from 1734, Probate from 1866, and Court Records from 1774.
        County Court Records were destroyed in three separate fires, the earliest of which consumed the house of the court clerk in April 1734 (where the records were kept at that time), and the last on 7 February 1866. A few Fee Books have been found in the records of Sussex County.

The boundary line between Virginia and North Carolina had been in dispute for many years so in 1728 a new survey was run. The border was adjusted to the north about 15 miles moving lands that were part of Nansemond Co., VA into Chowen Co., NC. When they completed the new survey some of the landowner's found that they now had land that was split by the boundary between the two states.
        Parts of Chowen Co., NC was later split into Gates Co., NC and Bertie Co., NC Richard Parker III was living in Chowan Co., NC in 1729 but he did not move to NC, In 1728 VA and NC agree to have the diving line between the two states resurveyed as there was a big dispute between the two states as to where the border was located . After the line was run Richard Parker III along with his Parker cousins now lived just over the border in NC and they now has land in both states.
        See map before and after 1728 survey at this link. http://genealogy.ztlcox.com/~xcc2all/cfreddukefiles/vancdividinglin... Note: Richard Parker III land was located near what is the city of Drum Hill, Gates County, NC

http://www.gatescounty.govoffice2.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={9FA438DA -A6A9-48BA-B015-DBA6C392FF0D}
        Gates County( NC) was a part of an area originally called "Albemarle", named for George, Duke of Albemarle. Later, what is now Gates County was split into three separate entities: Hertford, Chowan, and Perquimans counties. Most of the land within the present boundaries was considered to be Nansemond County, VA, until 1728, when William Byrd had surveyed the "dividing line" between Virginia and North Carolina.
        The area was in controversy between the two States until then, and both granted land to applicants. It was Chowan County, and a narrow strip of Perquimans, until 1759, when all the area west of Bennett's Creek was cut off to Hertford County.
        • http://gates.lostsoulsgenealogy.com/
          Gates was formed in 1779 from Chowan, Hertford, and Perquimans counties. It was named in honor of General Horatio Gates, who commanded American Army at the Battle of Saratoga. It is in the northeastern section of the State and is bounded by Camden, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Chowan and Hertford counties, and the state of Virginia. Gatesville is the county seat.
          Gates County was a part of an area originally called "Albemarle", named for George, Duke of Albemarle. Most of the land within the present boundaries was considered to be Nansemond County, VA, until 1728, when William Byrd had surveyed the "dividing line" between Virginia and North Carolina. In 1779 the area between the Chowan River to the West and Southwest, South of the county of Nansemond, Va., West of the Dismal Swamp and North of Catherine Creek and Warwick Creek was separated into a county all it's own. The physical land barriers of swamps or rivers made it difficult for residents of this area to travel to government seats in bad weather, and it was for this reason, among others that Gates County became an entity of it's own. In 1780 a courthouse, prison and stocks were built in Gatesville, at that time known as Gates Court House.
          Gates County includes communities (historic and otherwise) with such names as Acorn Hill, Ballard Crossroads, Beckford Junction, Buckland, Carter, Corapeake, Dort, Drum Hill, Eason Crossroads, Eleanors Crossroads, Eure, Flat Branch, Folly Fork, Gates Court House, Gatesville, Greens Fork, Hazelton, Hobbsville, Hoflers Fork, Holly Grove, Joppa, Kellogs Fork, Keys Crossroads, Mintonsville, Mitchells Fork, Muddy Cross, Old Chapel Crossroads, Parkers Fork, Pipkin Place, Powell Crossroads, Rays Beach, Riddick Crossroads, Sarem, Selwin, Storys, Sunbury, Topsy, Walton Crossroads, and Wyanoke

On page 2 of Following the Land Mrs. Raymond Parker Fouts wrote "William Parker served as a Burgess for Upper Norfolk in the General Assemble of Virginia as of 12 January 1642/43, along with John Carter, Daniell Coogan and Thomas Dewe. At that time, he owned a minimum of 700 acres of land and apparently purchased other land by deeds that are no longer of record"
          Footnote: The General Assemble of Virginia July 30, 1619-January 11, 1978, Bicentennial Register of Members,Compiled by Cynthia Miller Leonard, Published for the General Assemble of Virginia by the Virginia State Library, Richmond, 1978, p. 20

Nansemond Co., VA Parker (FG#7)
          Posted by Wayne N. Parker on June 9, 2016 at 1:04pm in General Chat

When I started my Parker genealogy research in 1991 and had traced them back to Nansemond Co., Virginia only to read that not much was known about the Parker families on Nansemond Co., VA Well I took that statement as a challenge to find all the information that I could, thus begin a quest for knowledge of my genealogy and family history that I am still in pursuit of today.

When I was a teenager, I read a story in our local newspaper about a man that had been born, raised and died while living in the same house. He lived in two different towns and two different counties in Mississippii, they were Middleton, Carroll Co., MS. Winona, Carroll Co., MS and Winona, Montgomery Co., MS.

Will that information as a black drop, I will now provide you with a very short version of our history and facts about our early Parker families in Colonial America but first I need to jump to the present time. Our Parker family is part of the Parker y-DNA Project as Family Group #7 (FG#7) *1

At this time our oldest confirmed Parker ancestor is William Parker. His son Richard Parker and his grandsons Richard, Thomas and Francis Parker all owned land and lived in Nansemond Co., VA. Nansemond Co., VA is no longer a county in VA today but in the 1600’s and early 1700’s it was located in the southeastern part of VA. It was on the border between VA and NC. *2

In the late 600’s and early 1700’s VA and NC both claimed the same land along their common border. In 1728 and 1729 they resurveyed the border line. The new border moved north so VA lost land and NC gained land. Nansemond Co., VA in 1729 was a much smaller county than it was in 1728. So now the Parker families owned land that was located in Nansemond Co., VA and also land that was now located in Chowan Co., VA and when Gates Co., NC was created from Chowan Co., NC, they now lived in Gates Co., NC (or what used to be Nansemond Co., VA) *3

Nansemond Co., VA had several court houses fires but there are other sources of records we can use to fill in some of the blanks. The land records (by using a computer program we can plot where our some of our Parker families lived), records that were sent back to England. *4

We can also use information about their neighbors to expand our knowledge about our Parker families. We have a lot of good information from the counties in NC. *2

Tar and hogs. This is two of products that our Parker family made their living from. Tar was used by ship maker so it was in heavy demand back in England. *3 *5

Hogs of course were sold for food. *3

So I close the short article about our Parker family with this observation, Today I am proud and humble at the same time to have and to be part of the research team that has increased the knowledge of the Nansemond Parker family.

Wayne N. Parker researcher for P239 of FG#7 and co-admin for Parker Heritage.

*1 http://web.utk.edu/~corn/parkerdna/

*2 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&db=parke... 16149

*3 http://ncgenweb.us/nc/gates/history/

*4 English Duplicates of Lost Virginia Records by Louis des Cognets Jr.

*5 http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/nchist-colonial/4069

There are two Bennett creeks that are part of our early Parker land history.

Wayne N. Parker

(1) located in what was old Nansemond Co., VA
          According to The Army Corps of Engineers ( http://www.nao.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Stories/Article/489179/cor... ns-144k-bennetts-creek-dredging/) Posted 4/23/2013 By Pamela Spaugy
          Norfolk District Public Affairs
          “SUFFOLK, Va. -- The Army Corps of Engineers’ dredge Currituck arrived here Saturday to dredge the federal navigation channel in Bennett’s Creek.
          Significant shoaling, caused by natural transport and deposit of sediment, made dredging necessary. The natural shoaling was exacerbated by Hurricane Sandy. 
          Over the course of five days, the Currituck, which is based out of Wilmington, N.C., will dredge 4,000 cubic yards of material and place it at the Craney Island Dredged Material Management Area in Portsmouth, Va. 
          "We are very pleased that the Army Corps of Engineers partnered with the City of Suffolk to dredge Bennett's Creek. This project is a great benefit to the many residents who use Bennett's Creek for both work and pleasure,” said Suffolk Mayor Linda T. Johnson.
          The project’s cost of $144,000 is shared: 59 percent is federally funded and the remaining 41 percent is locally funded.
          The current work is the first of two dredging phases – the first will provide a minimum depth of 3.5 feet. At the end of the year, the Corps will dredge to provide a minimum depth of 8 feet at low tide.
          Bennett’s Creek is a shallow-draft harbor and provides access to the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean for commercial fishing vessels, charter fishing boats, head boats and a wide range of private recreational vessels.”
          (2) located in the current county of Gates Co., NS
          https://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=XPO001-018
          Bennetts Creek’s headwaters are in northeastern Gates County, just west of the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. Near Sunbury, two swamps converge to form Bennetts Creek. It flows west through Lassiter Swamp and into Merchants Millpond State Park. Below Merchants Millpond, Bennetts Creek turns to the south, passes by Gatesville, and flows through the Chowan Swamp and into the Chowan River. The Stewards of Bennetts Creek is a group of volunteers who watch over Bennetts Creek and assist the Merchants Millpond staff. Several times a year, they remove trash and clear a path through downed trees on Bennetts Creek below Merchants Millpond. They have also provided the labor to construct the steps and dock at the put-in. This eTrail contains 2 sections of Bennetts Creek from Millpond Road (Gates Co. 1400) access to Cannons Ferry Road (Chowan Co. 1231) access on Chowan
          NOTE: e-mail from Peter Beadle below is part of the e-mails that we exchanged about my Parker research. Peter was kind enough to take my raw data and put it into a form that was easier to understand. So I now use his version. (WNP)

To: Wayne Parker <waynenparker@yahoo.com> 
          Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2016 3:35 PM
          Subject: Richard Parker

Hi Wayne
          I have been working through your notes and attached is my take on the data.  There are a couple of small differences in interpretation:
          1.  I suggest that William b. 1604 England d. Nansemond 1654 bef Oct.
          2, Parker, Richard. Publication 26 April 1698. Virginia State Land Office. Patents 1-42, reels 1-41. Note Location: Nansemond County. Description: 100 acres of land with marsh the greater part adjoining lying and being in the county of Nansemond at a place called Hoods neck in the southem branch and joining to other lands of the said Parkers father. Source: Land Office Patents No. 9, 1697-1706 (v.1 & 2 p.1-742), p. 142 (Reel 9). Part of the index to the recorded copies of patents for land issued by the Secretary of the Colony serving as the colonial Land Office. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia. Note that it describes the parcel as being adjacent to "other lands of the said Parkers father". In 1698, Richard I was long dead so it cannot refer to Richard II but must refer to Richard III who would have been 22 years old at the time and the parcel was at "Hoods Neck", close to Francis' 1683 patent.
          Apart from these I see things as you have.  I am curious about William 1705 patent and Samuel 1714.
          Best wishes
          Peter

NOTE: For more information about how to used land records to trace the Parker family staring with William Parker see Peter Beadle Land Records research under Richard Parker I and Richard Parker II file.
          Gates County Genealogy Project
          • More About WILLIAM PARKER:
            Christening: February 16, 1604/05, Barley, Hertfordshire, England
            DNA: Parker Family Tree DNA https://www.familytreedna.com/public/parker?iframe=yresults
            Fact: February 07, 1624/25, He was 20 years old when he was listed on the muster of Virginia inhabitants in 1624/25
            Parker Heritage Website: https://parkerheritage.ning.com/
            Y-DNA: Note: We have y-DNA matches from all three of William Parker grandsons (Richard, Thomas and Francis Parker) as part of FG#7 Parker DNA Project.

Children of WILLIAM PARKER and ? are:
            i. DNA GROUP #75 PARKER.

Notes for DNA GROUP #7 PARKER:
            This is a link to members of the Parker DNA Project Family Group that have had a living Parker male that had his y-DNA tested and matched into FG#7. Now the researchers are working to find a paper trail that will connect them back to William Parker born about 1604 in England.

https://www.familytreedna.com/

One of the newest tools that we can unitized in genealogy research is DNA testing. Y-DNA testing results can tell us that we have a common male ancestor, the results can not tell us how we are kin only that we are kin. The Y chromosome, which is passed directly from father to son, unchanged, from generation to generation. Unchanged, that is, unless a mutation—a random, naturally occurring, usually harmless change—occurs. The mutation, known as a marker, acts as a beacon; it can be mapped through generations because it will be passed down from the man in whom it occurred to his sons, their sons, and every male in his family for many thousands of years.
            These mutations establish genetic signatures, called haplotypes, that define particular branches within a family tree. The haplotypes of tested individuals can be used to confirm, or alter as necessary, the structure of family trees which in the past had to be based on paper-based historical research, family tradition and logical inferences that could be drawn from them.
            NOTE: All the Parker families of Parker FG#7 can be traced back to one common male ancestor using y-DNA testing but DNA testing can only tell us we are kin but not how. Thus the results can be used by researchers as a tool to help find the paper trail that will tell us how.
            The P#s were assigned by the "old" Parker DNA Project we now use Kit numbers.

Parker DNA Project FG#7. Kit numbers145926,423862,573623,193424,53947,30836,56629,116910,440567,115865,442323, 107919,258555,298494,107133,121580,480307,82412,562583,66817,190577,146970,188331,20778,N15446,B36269.324790,313247,346956,56821,584391,378014,255768,335606,150901,242853,126182231,726539,574848,429744, B346615,129485

More About DNA GROUP #7 PARKER:
            Y-DNA: Link to members of the Parker DNA Project Family Group that have had a living Parker male that had his y-DNA tested and matched into FG#7. Now the researchers are working to find a paper trail that will connect them back to William Parker born 1604

ii. RICHARD PARKER I, b. Abt. 1625, Elizabeth City (or citiie as it was then called) was one of four incorporations established in the Virginia Colony in 1619 by the proprietor, the Virginia Company; d. Bef. April 23, 1681, Nansemond Co., VA; m. ?.

Notes for RICHARD PARKER I:
            NOTE: information about Richard Parker and his ancestor and his descendants using land records and y-DNA testing to prove my genealogy research on my Parker family. WNP

NOTE: There are three different Richard Parker living in the late 1600's in VA and so far as I know, no researcher has ever found any primary or secondary sources of information nor have been any y-DNA results that can connect the different Richard Parker as being kin to each other yet so many researchers are still combining and mixing the families of the three different Richard Parker into one family!!!!!
            The Richard Parker of FG #7 is from the Parker family from Nansemond Co., VA and he IS NOT REPEAT NOT the Dr. Richard Parker of Charles City Co., VA, Henrico Co., VA and who was a descendant of the Parker family of Browsholme, England!!!
            The Richard Parker of FG #7 is not the Richard Parker of Surry Co., VA either!!!

Richard Parker of Nansemond Co., VA did not, repeat did not married Elizabeth Bailey. I don't know who his wife was. I have not been able to connection this Richard Parker to the Browsholme Parker family of England or to any other Parker family in England at this time July 2013.

This is some of the information about the land, William Parker and his descendants owned in Nansemond Co., VA and later on in NC. William Parker is the oldest ancestor of FG#7 that has been found so far.

NOTE: In July 2016 Peter Beadle (FG#7 researcher for P402) made a great contribution to our Parker genealogy research by helping me explain how we are using the land records to help trace the eariler Parker generactions in VA and NC. He has producted some maps that show about where the Parker land was located but the maps won't print in this type of file. If you want a map send me an e-mail waynenparker@yahoo.com.

Also since it is a large file. I have split in up into parts Part two is located on Richard Parker II file.

First part of Peter Beadle information.

Parker Land Transactions in Nansemond

WILLIAM PARKER, 350 acs. Warrisquicke Co., last day of May 1636, p.362. Beg. at a little Cr. on the S.side of Nanzemund Riv., N. W. upon sd. river against Dumplinge Island & S. E. into the woods. Trans, of 7 pers: John Gately, John Middep, Jane Veale, Mary Harford, John Freethorne, Mary Waters, William Gold
            Figure 1

The location is shown approximately in Figure 1 above and is the supported by several adjoing patents, two of which (Lawson and Percival) sre also shown above.
            EPAPHRODITUS LAWSON, 200 acs. Warwickquicke Co., 23 Dec. 1636, p. 407. Joyning upon William Parkers land on the E., N. W. upon Nanzamund river & S. E. into the woods. Trans, of 4 pers: Jon. Dipple, Wm. Ewin, Rich. Williams, Jon. Smith.
            EPAPHRODITUS LAWSON, 200 acs. Isle of Wight Co., 1 Nov. 1637, p. 492. Adj. land of William Parker on E., N. W. upon Nansamund Riv. & S. E. into the woods. Trans, of 4 pers.*
            ARGOLL YEARDLEY, 500 acs. in the Up. Co. of New Norf., 6 Feb. 1637, p. 521. Upon Dumpling Is. Cr. in Nansamund Riv. on the S. side, adj. land of William Parker & E. N. upon sd. Cr. 50 acs. due for his own per. adv., 50 acs. for the per. adv. of his wife Frances & 400 acs. for trans, of 8 pers: Susan Beale, Thomas Adderly, Rice Jones, Edward Kinsey, Christo. Graunt, Jon. Woodcocke, Andolo & Maria 2 Negroes.
            SAMUELL STEPHENS, Gent., son & heire of Capt. Richard Stephens, late of Va., 2,000 acs., Up. Co. New Norfolk, in Nansemund Riv., July 20, 1639, page 667. Adj. Percivall Champion, William Sanders, William Parker & Thomas Powell. Due for trans, by his father, Capt. Richard Stephens, of 40 pers., whose names are not given.
            TOBY SMYTH, Gent., 150 acs. Up. Norf. Co., Sept. 25, 1644. Page 13. Upon the W. side of Nansimond Riv., 35 acs. called Raming Island, the rest being marsh & adj. the island opposite land of Francis Maldin, bounded Ewd. with Dumpling Island Cr., which parts it from land of William Parker. Due for trans, of 3 persons, 2 of whom are mentioned: Joane Corraway (or Carra- way) & Thomas Wilkins.
            ----------------------------------------------
            If this is your introduction to colonial land records (as it was mine), you have probably made several conclusions, which may include:
            it is not possible to locate the land exactly. The descriptions above are transcribed abstracts but the actual entries are very similar in nature.
            where locations are quoted they are local - e.g. trees at a specific location relative to someone's land, postion relative to a river or creek; remember that these patents were granted 15 to 20 years after the Virginia "muster" and names were often the same as the settler's and changed with time and new owners.
            its is extremely difficult to draw adjacent parcels with any accuracy, sometimes even to fit them all in; try to fit those of Parker, Lawson, Yeardley amd Stephens on the map.
            Also, the size and ownership of parcels changed with time and this is the reason those patents shown are all contemporary.

However Dumpling Island and the Namsemund River still exist and, together with the other patents clearly illustrate the location of William Parker's 1636 patent
            A later, 1638 patent is not so easy to locate:

WILLIAM PARKER, 350 acs. Co. of Up. Norf., 18 June 1638, p. 543. N.W. upon Nansamund Riv., beg. at Powells Cr. & butting upon his own land. Trans, of 7 pers: Roger Salisbury, Richard Savage, Dorothy Cole, Edward Laughson, Walter Williams, Jon. Hatton, Robert May.
            The only Powell's Creek in this part of Virginia, mentioned specifically in the patent record is in the patents of Thomas Hampton 1737 which place his land on the west bank of the Nansemund, between Powell's Creek (later Tyancun Br.) and the south bank of the western Branch of the Nansemund. This would place William's parcel a couple of miles south of his 1636 parcel and, if he abutted his own land there would have to be another "purchase" of which there is no record and would still have to be on the south side of the river to abut it in the N.W. There is however a simpler explanantion: the 1639 patent of Samuel Stephens above, describes his land as being adjacent to William Parker's and Thomas Powell's. It is at least as likely that Powel named one of the creeks on his land and this was used in the patent application. Thus the 1638 patent could be to the south of the 1636 one.
            We have to jump forward over 40 years for the next patent of genealogical interest.:

Virginia State Land Office, Patent Book 7 1679-1689, pages 93-94
            To all people, etc. whereas, etc.... Now know ye that I, the said Sr. Henry Chisheley, Kt., his Majesties Deputy Governor, do give and grant unto Thomas, Richard and Frances Parker, the three sons of Richard Parker, dec'd. one thousand four hundred and twenty acres of land on the marsh adjoining, lying and being in the souther branch of nansemond, beginning at a red oak standing on a point to the northward of Cranny Creek mouth and opposite to a small island called Cranny Isle and at Crain's ehancing, thence running down by the main branch side according to the several curvings and windings of the said branch 'till it comes to a great decayed white oak standing a little above the creek's mouth which is called Parker's Creek; thence south east crossing over the said creek twice and extending three hundred and twenty poles to John Small his own white oak, thence south west one hundred and eighty four poles to a small white oak being the beginning head of the Crosse Swampe Pattent and runs the due courses of the said Pattent First east north east two hundred poles to a small Gum, thence south south east three hundred and twenty poles to a small Ash by a Gum in a great reedy pocoson or inland swamp thence west south west two hundred poles to a small Gum thence north north west one hundred and sixty four poles to a marked Gum standing by a branch being in the head line of Hood neck pattent thence south west by west one hundred and forty six poles to a white oak standing by and towards the head of Cranny Creek. Thence down by or nigh the said creek side to the mouth thereof and thence as the southern branch runs down to the first mentioned red oak including the said quantity three hundred acres as hereof being formerly granted to William Hatfield by the two pattents, the one for two hundred the other for one hundred acres dated the 24th August 1638 and four hundred and sixty acre of the said land formerly granted unto Randall Crews by pattent dated the 9th September 1648 all which by deeds and surrendered became the propper right of Richard Parker, Senr., dec'd. and four hundred acres more of the said land was formerly granted to the said Richard Parker, Senr. by pattent the 18th March 1662, and one hundred acres more being greatest marsh also formerly granted to Richard Parker and of the now Pattentees, by pattent dated the 24th. February 1675/6, all which by the said pattents and their father's will being now the right and in possession of the said Thomas, Richard and Francis Parker the one hundred sixty acres residue, being over plus lands and march found to be contained within the said bounds and due by me for the transportation of four persons, etc.
            To have and to hold, etc. To be held, etc., yeilding, etc. priviledge dated the 23rd day of April Anno Domini 1681.
            Ann Crosdell George Dobson William Hendly Thomas Northern

Figure 2

Figure 2 shows the he land described in the above patent. It clearly includes William Parker's 1636 patent (and possibly his 1638 one). Since the deed represents the transfer of the property to Thomas, Richard and Francis Parker from their dead father, Richard, it strongly suggests that William was their grandfather.

So these 3 transactions give us the bones of 3 generations of Nansemond Parkers
            William b. 1604 England d. Nansemond 1654 bef Oct.
            Richard b. Nansemond d. Nansemond bef 1681
            Thomas b. Nansemond
            Richard b. Nansemond
            Francis b. Nansemond

The increase in the size of the property in the intervening 40 years was due to Richard efforts:

MR. RICHARD PARKER, 400 acs.in the S. branch of Nanzemond Riv., adj. his own & land of Mr. William Wright. 5 Oct. 1654, p. 371. Trans, of 8 pers.*

Parker, Richard. Publication 18 March 1662. Gen. note Formerly gtd. him Octr. 4. 1654 renewed. Other Format Available on microfilm. Virginia State Land Office. Patents 1-42, reels 1-41. Note Location: County location not given. Description: 400 acres on the southern branch of Nancemum River. Source: Land Office Patents No. 5, 1661-1666 (v.1 & 2 p.1-369), p. 323 (Reel 5). Part of the index to the recorded copies of patents for land issued by the Secretary of the Colony serving as the colonial Land Office. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia. Subject - Personal ?Parker, Richard. grantee.

Parker, Richard. Publication 24 February 1675/1676. Other Format Available on microfilm. Virginia State Land Office. Patents 1-42, reels 1-41. Note Location: Nansemond County. Description: 100 acres with marsh the greater part adjoining at a place called Hoods neck. Source: Land Office Patents No. 6, 1666-1679 (pt.1 & 2 p.1-692), p. 596 (Reel 6). Part of the index to the recorded copies of patents for land issued by the Secretary of the Colony serving as the colonial Land Office. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia. Subject - Personal ?Parker, Richard. grantee.

William Hatfield's 300 acs. 24th August 1638, transferred to Richard snr.

Randall Crews 460 acs, 9th September 1648, transferred to Richard snr.

------------------------------------------

Part two is located on Richard Parker II file

More About RICHARD PARKER I:
            Fact: 2015, Note: We now have y-DNA matches from all three sons of Richard Parker I.
            Y-DNA: P239 FG#7 Parker DNA Project

iii. FEMALE PARKER, b. Abt. 1627; m. SILVESTER BAKER, Bef. 1642; d. Bef. 1676, Nansemond Co., VA.

Notes for FEMALE PARKER:
            NOTE: FOR RESEARCH ONLY!!! This researcher had not been able to prove this information either way. 9-12-2022!!!!

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~markfreeman/emj.html
            088. Thomas Harrell, born Bef. 1635.

Notes for Thomas Harrell:

Cavaliers and Pioneers (1666-1695) by Nell Marion Nugent gives the following: Thomas Harrell, 150 acres in Nanzemond at head of Parkers's Creek, 23 April 1681, p. 89, part of 250 acs granted Silvester Baker 1 April 1658, renewed in 1662, and now in possession of the afsd Thomas as heire of his father, Thomas Harrell, who purchased from sd Baker.

Thanks to: Connie Fisher http://searches2.rootsweb.com/th/read/NCWILSON/1998-12/0912695356

Silvester Baker and Thomas Harrell were headrights of and likely indentured servants of Robert Bennett, cousin of Richard Bennett, Governor of Virginia during the Commonwealth. They arrived abt 1633 and settled on the plantation of Robert Bennett adjoining Richard Bennett's plantation on Bennett's Crk at the mouth of the Nansemond River in James

River.

Silvester Baker, after he served out his indenture, likely married the daughter of William Parker and sister of Richard Parker Sr. and settled on Parker's Crk located between the Nansemond River and the Dismal Swamp. He already possessed land there, when he patented 250a on 1 Apr 1658. We descend through the Parker marriage - Richard Baker b abt 1642 d abt 1702 Nansemond Co. Silvester married (2) Mercy ?

Notes for SILVESTER BAKER:
            NOTE: FOR RESEARCH ONLY

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~markfreeman/emj.html

1088. Thomas Harrell, born Bef. 1635.

Notes for Thomas Harrell:

Cavaliers and Pioneers (1666-1695) by Nell Marion Nugent gives the following: Thomas Harrell, 150 acres in Nanzemond at head of Parkers's Creek, 23 April 1681, p. 89, part of 250 acs granted Silvester Baker 1 April 1658, renewed in 1662, and now in possession of the afsd Thomas as heire of his father, Thomas Harrell, who purchased from sd Baker.
            Thanks to: Connie Fisher http://searches2.rootsweb.com/th/read/NCWILSON/1998-12/0912695356

Silvester Baker and Thomas Harrell were headrights of and likely indentured servants of Robert Bennett, cousin of Richard Bennett, Governor of Virginia during the Commonwealth. They arrived abt 1633 and settled on the plantation of Robert Bennett adjoining Richard Bennett's plantation on Bennett's Crk at the mouth of the Nansemond River in James River.

Silvester Baker, after he served out his indenture, likely married the daughter of William Parker and sister of Richard Parker Sr. and settled on Parker's Crk located between the Nansemond River and the Dismal Swamp. He already possessed land there, when he patented 250a on 1 Apr 1658. We descend through the Parker marriage - Richard Baker b abt 1642 d abt 1702 Nansemond Co. Silvester married (2) Mercy ?

Barker Sylvester 1638 Robert Bennett Upper Norfolk

Court Orders 1655-1658

Page 51. Howell Pryse provided testimony for 1900 acres for the importation of the following: Includes Sylvester Baker, Robert Brook
            [vii] Witnesses were John Barker and Howell Pryse, who later in 1655/56 would claim head rights for Thomas Baker and Sylvester Baker.

Full View of Record: LVA Catalogs
            Choose format:

Standard format
            Catalog card
            Name tags
            MARC tags

Record 2 out of 24 Previous Record Next Record
            URL (Click on link) [File Extension: url] http://image.lva.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/GetLONN.pl?first=209&last... llection=LO Patent
            Author LinkBaker, Sylvester. grantee.
            Title LinkLand grant 1 April 1658.
            Gen. note Memo: patent renewed in his name Mar: 18. 1662. see margin.
            Summary Location: County location not given.
            Description: 250 acres being at the head of a Creek called Parkers Creek.
            Source: Land Office Patents No. 4, 1655-1664, p. 209 (Reel 4).
            Part of the index to the recorded copies of patents for land issued by the Secretary of the Colony serving as the colonial Land Office. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia.
            Other Format Available on microfilm. Virginia State Land Office. Patents 1-42, reels 1-41.
            Subject - Personal LinkBaker, Sylvester. grantee.
            Subject - Topical LinkLand titles. -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia
            Subject -Geographic LinkVirginia -- History -- 17th century.
            Genre/Form LinkLand grants -- Virginia.
            Added Entry LinkVirginia. Colonial Land Office. Patents, 1623-1774.
            LinkLibrary of Virginia. Archives.

System Number 000719244
            FamilyTreeDNA - Parker Surname Y-DNA Project
            • Previous Record

Choose format:

Standard format
              Catalog card
              Name tags
              MARC tags

Record 1 out of 2 No Previous Record Next Record
              URL (Click on link) [File Extension: url] http://image.lva.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/GetLONN.pl?first=197&last... llection=LO Patent
              Author LinkMenshew, Richard. grantee.
              Title LinkLand grant 20 November 1682.
              Summary Location: County location not given.
              Grantee(s): Menshew, Richard, and Mercy his wife.
              Description: 22 acres in the upper parish of Nanzemond. In the Southern branch: beg.g &c. land formerly belong.g to Silvester Baker.
              Source: Land Office Patents No. 7, 1679-1689 (v.1 & 2 p.1-719), p. 197 (Reel 7).
              Part of the index to the recorded copies of patents for land issued by the Secretary of the Colony serving as the colonial Land Office. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia.
              Other Format Available on microfilm. Virginia State Land Office. Patents 1-42, reels 1-41.
              Subject - Personal LinkMenshew, Richard. grantee.
              LinkMenshew, Mercy.
              LinkBaker, Silvester.
              Subject - Topical LinkLand titles. -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia
              Subject -Geographic LinkVirginia -- History -- 17th century.
              Genre/Form LinkLand grants -- Virginia.

System Number 000795089

No Previous Record Next Record

Choose format:

Standard format
              Catalog card
              Name tags
              MARC tags

Record 2 out of 2 Previous Record No Next Record
              URL (Click on link) [File Extension: url] http://image.lva.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/GetLONN.pl?first=594&last... llection=LO Patent
              Author LinkBaker, Mercy. grantee.
              Title LinkLand grant 24 February 1675/1676.
              Gen. note Baker, Mercy, (relict. of Silvester Baker)
              Summary Location: Nansemond County.
              Description: 200 acres escheat land. Formerly granted to the said Silvester Baker.
              Source: Land Office Patents No. 6, 1666-1679 (pt.1 & 2 p.1-692), p. 594 (Reel 6).
              Subject - Personal LinkBaker, Mercy. grantee.
              LinkBaker, Silvester.
              Subject - Topical LinkLand titles -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia -- Nansemond County.
              Subject -Geographic LinkNansemond County (Va.) -- History -- 17th century.
              Genre/Form LinkLand grants -- Virginia -- Nansemond County.

System Number 000719194

Previous Record

Choose format:

Standard format
              Catalog card
              Name tags
              MARC tags

Record 1 out of 3 No Previous Record Next Record
              URL (Click on link) [File Extension: url] http://image.lva.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/GetLONN.pl?first=477&last... llection=LO Patent
              Author LinkBayman, Edmond. grantee.
              Title LinkLand grant 28 October 1701.
              Summary Location: Nansemond County.
              Description: 43 acres on the Eastward side of the Southern branch of Nansemond river. Beg.g &c. in the head line of a patent formerly gtd. Silvester Baker, it being the head of the dividing line between Robert Baker and . . . .
              Source: Land Office Patents No. 9, 1697-1706 (v.1 & 2 p.1-742), p. 477 (Reel 9).
              Subject - Personal LinkBayman, Edmond. grantee.
              LinkBaker, Silvester.
              LinkBaker, Robert.
              Subject - Topical LinkLand titles. -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia -- Nansemond County
              Subject -Geographic LinkNansemond County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century.
              Genre/Form LinkLand grants -- Virginia -- Nansemond County.

System Number 000721685

No Previous Record

http://archive.org/stream/cavalierspioneer00nuge/cavalierspioneer00... vu.txt

CAPT. JOHN BLAKE, 150 acs. at
              the head of Parkers Cr., adj. land of
              Silvester Baker. 1 Apr. 1658, p. 141,
              (208). Trans, of 3 pers: Franciscoe
              a Negro, Francis Deplace, Jno. Carpen-
              ter. Renewed 30 Oct. 1662.

SAME. 400 acs. In Mathewes Cr.,
              a branch of the S. branch of Nansamond
              Riv. 1 Apr. 1658, p. 142, (209).
              Trans, of 8 pers: Susan Ashly, Wm.
              Jones, Tho. Peterson, Mary Corbett,
              Wm. Daniell, Andrew Ston, Tymothy
              Jones, Wm. Norcott. Renewed as above.

SILVESTER BAKER, 250 acs., 1 Apr.
              1658, p. 142, (209). Beg. at the head
              of Parkers Cr., joining his own land.
              Trans, of 5 pers: James Mote, Alexan-
              der Jemmison (or Jennison), Bryan
              Farrell, Margarett Farrell, Wm. Low-
              der. Renewed 18 Mar. 1662.

EDWARD VAUGHAN, 100 acs. in
              the upper parrish of Nancimond Co.,
              Patent Book No. 5
              29 Mar. 1666, p. 544, (668). Beg. at
              cor. tree of Silvester Bakers land, run-
              ning S.W. 320 po. on the miles end of
              Randolph Crewes land, butting on land
              of Rich. Parker, S.E. &c. joyning land
              of Mr. Wright & Tho. Harrowes &c.
              Trans, of 2 pers: Jno. Olliver, Walter
              Brookes.

Endnotes

1. Cavaliers and Pioneers Abslracls of Virginia Land Patents and Grants 1623 -1800 by NELL MARION NUGENT, William Parker. Aged 20. In the Charles, 1616. JOHN BUSH, of Kiccoughtan Co., VA for trans, of 2 servts: Thomas Hand and Wm. Parker, in the Charles in 1621.WILLIAM PARKER, 350 acs. War- risquicke Co., last day of May 1636, p. 362.EPAPHRODITUS LAWSON, 200 acs. Warwickquicke Co., 23 Dec. 1636, p. 407. Joyning upon William Parkers land on the E., N. W. upon Nanzamund riverEPAPHRODITUS LAWSON, 200 acs. Isle of Wight Co., 1 Nov. 1637, p. 492. Adj. land of William Parker on E., N. W. upon Nansamund RivARGOLL YEARDLEY, 500 acs. in the Up. Co. of New Norf., 6 Feb. 1637, p. 521. Upon Dumpling Is. Cr. in Nansamund Riv. on the S. side, adj. land of William ParkerWILLIAM PARKER, 350 acs. Co. of Up. Norf., 18 June 1638, p. 543. N.W. upon Nansamund Riv., beg. at Powells Cr. & butting upon his own land.SAMUELL STEPHENS, Gent., son & heire of Capt. Richard Stephens, late of Va., 2,000 acs., Up. Co. New Nor- folk, in Nansemund Riv., July 20, 1639, page 667. Adj. Percivall Champion, William Sanders, William Parker & Thomas Powell.
              • Wow, this data is great! Thanks for adding it to PH, and the Parker Family #7! Mike
This reply was deleted.