Pitt County North Carolina, 1750s

I am a descendant of Edward Parker.  He was born in Pitt County NC in 1754.  Following is information taken from a statement for Pension as a Revolutionary War Soldier, on October 8th, 1832. "Bath County, Edward Parker, aged 78, makes oath: On March 8th, 1780 enlisted at Boonesborough under Capt. John Bailey. Discharged March 7th 1783. Was born in Pitt Co., North Carolina, 1754. When I was enlisted my home was at Boonesborough, Kentucky. Since the war have lived in Madison, Clark, and Bath Counties, KY."

This information was taken from his Family Bible, and records in Bath County, Kentucky.  He lists no Father, Mother, or siblings in the bible. In addition, the court house and many records in Pitt County, NC were destroyed in a fire in the 1850s.  My search has come to dead end here, any information would be helpful and appreciated. 

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gilbert, Have to taken a DNA Test yet? William Parker, on this site, and I are very close matches. like 37of of 37 and 66 of 67, all the way to 108 of 111. We are definitely close genetic matches. His last proven Decedent was a John PARKER, b 1772 North Carolina, d 1857 Whitley Co, KY . As yet we have not been able to tie them together. Any direct of Edwards YDNA would go a long way to trying to gain more information.
    • Thanks so much for your information.  I am already in possession of that, I have a copy of the Book mentioned, and his civil war pension statements etc. I don't have any additional information on Amanda other than what you have stated. All I have is that she was the first wife of James Price Parker, who was son of John Parker, the original Parker in Carroll County Arkansas, and the son of Edward.  I have done a DNA Y test, and have some matches on this site, and Ancestry.com, but have been unable so far to get anything further on Edward. Thanks.  I don't know if you have the entire Pension statement that spoke to the fact that Edward lived in Boone Station at the time it was establish by Daniel and Squire Boone in 1779-80.  This could lead to more information on his linage. At least that is my hope. I have that in a PDF doc if you would like.
      • Douglas,

Thank you so much for your reply... I would love to have a copy of the pdf you have and anything else you an share such as the civil war pension statements.  James Price was my great grandfather, his son George Henry was my grandfather.  I was a smal child when he died but I have been told he would not talk about his mother because she was of Indian decent and in his youth he suffered because people were racist against Indians or people who were of Indian decent.  My cousin Jackie Page has done all of the research but she and I have not had much contact and I no longer know how to contact her so I do not know if she has made any more progress.  My father is the last surviving male from his line so I am going to try and get him to do the DNA test.  We might be long lost cousins so let's stay in touch and I will send you any other info I find.  You can contact me @ parkerseeker@yahoo.com.  Talk to you soon!

• Doug:

Pitt County was formed in 1761 from Beaufort County. Edward's reference to Pitt County meant he was born in that part of Beaufort County. He must have lived sometime in Pitt County. There was a John Parker on the tax lists in Pitt County for 1761 and 1762. I believe he died with a will. You might check out this John Parker. Other than that there were not Parkers in the Pitt County census in 1790 or 1800. The Lacy Parker listed in 1790 is Larry Parks per my reading of the original census. The first Parker's showed up in the census in 1810 - James b abt 1785 and Alexander and William born about 1775. I believe James moved from Edgecomb County and Alexander and William came from Northern Craven County. You might trace James Parker. I believe his mother was Sarah Parker or Sary Parker, a widow of a Parker from Edgecomb. Look forward to anything you can find.

I have taken the DNA test yet, but I look forward to any clues I can find. I am descended from the Alexander Parker in Pitt County in the 1810 census.

Steve Parker

• Hi Steve,

I'm one of Doug's cousins, descended from John Parker (b1792 NC). Doug and I match on 29 of 30 common markers from the y-dna test, but haven't come up yet with our most recent common ancestor (mrca). Reading your emails referring to Alexander Parker from Pitt Co, and Doug's emails about Edward Parker, the possibility of establishing a connection between them seems especially tantalizing. I'd like to urge you to go ahead and get your y-dna tested and, hopefully, make that connection.

If you choose to be tested, I'd recommend Family Tree DNA. Five of the eight tested in Family Group 22 used FT DNA, so a direct comparison is available on all the markers tested. Doug, for example, used Ancestry so we could only compare 30 common markers. Had he used FT DNA, we could have compared all 37. And, finally, FT DNA has a sale on through the end of the year (sorry I didn't see your note earlier). You can check on the sale at this link: http://www.familytreedna.com/y-dna-compare.aspx

I hope you don't think me forward. I'm interested in a possible Edward/Alexander connection and since you mentioned the dna testing, I thought I'd pass on the info about the sale.

• I have been looking further, and not much has materialized. But your information on John has been more than helpful.  It looks like John was indeed in Pitt County in 1762, and Beaufort County in 1755, the year Edward was 1yr.  This seems more than likely that it would tie together, I will see what else can be found, but I am excited, again thanks for the tip.
  • I can trace back to Alexander Parker living at the fork of the Great Contentnea and Little Contentnea rivers in 1797. The land moved from Craven to Greene Counties and then Pitt County. He shows up in the Pitt County 1810 census for the first time. I have not access to census in Greene County NC for 1800. If you could look him I would appreciate it. Based on family naming an other information, I believe his father was John or Jonathan Parker in Dobbs/Craven/Greene Counties, NC.

Do you have the descendants of Edward Parker or relations to Edward Parker?

• I have been unable to go any further in confirmation certain than Edward Parker who was Born in 1754 in Pitt County, NC. He died in 1838 in Bath County Kentucky. Live most of his life in Montgomery, Clark, and Bath Counties. His youngest son John migrated to Carroll County Arkansas in possession of his family bible.  It has been passed down from generation to generation, so the information is about as accurate as could be expected.  

The bible did not have any information about his parents, or siblings unfortunately. 

I am also in possession of a court statement made to obtain his Revolutionary War Pension, sworn to in court, and witnessed and confirmed by two others who served with him and knew of him and his service.  It seems that he lived in Boone Station in 1780, and enlisted in the Militia of a Captain Bailey, part of the George Rogers Clark expedition to battle the Shawnee Towns.  Any way the research I have done on Boone Station, indicates that Daniel Boone, after his escape from the Indian's, after the battle of Blue Licks and return to Kentucky, went back to the Yadkin Valley of North Carolina where his family had returned after his capture, and brought his family, and others back to Kentucky in the Fall of 1779, not to Booneborough, but to establish Boone Station.  Point being that Edward enlisted in March of 1780 in Boonsborough. It seems that he must have come to Kentucky with Boone.  It also seems that the Yadkin valley is next door to Wilkes County, the home of said John Parker.

• Hi Douglas,

Raymond and I match on 37/37 markers and our MRCA is John Parker (Wilkes Co, NC). His father, also John Parker, is who we're looking for, and Pitt Co seems to be a good place to be looking. We have a few cousins from Screven Co, GA who match 36/37 markers and their earliest documented ancestor is James Parker, Sr  (Edgecombe Co, NC). Lots of folks are trying to tie James Sr with one or all of the Hardy Parkers moving down from Nansemond Co, VA through Duplin, Edgecombe, and New Hanover counties in NC. It seems like your Edward could be right in the middle of this gap.

Who'd you do your dna test with? I haven't gotten any heads up from FT DNA about a match, but Dennis West at the Parker project did alert my sister that you're right in the mix with us, though he hadn't updated the site yet to add you. Anyway, welcome aboard. I was glad to see Edward's Rev Pension Application. Interesting stuff.

Bill Parker (P95, Group 22)

• Raymond and I are close matches as well.  Ray sent me his results.  I did my testing with Ancestry.com and sent the results to Dennis at the Parker Project.  The MRCA  was Ray thru Ancestry, it was a 3.  I have his results, and will check the exact count later today. (W324, Group 22)
This reply was deleted.