PARKER GENEALOGY CONFUSION IN THE USA

I am researching the family of Nathaniel Parker, b. 1730 & m to Ann Clayton. Sarah Parker, whom I believe to be the granddaughter of Nath. & Ann, married Thomas Slay, Jr., son of Thomas Slay, Sr. & Frances Ricketts.I would apprciate any help on the ancesteral genealogy from Sarah on back to Eng. It is my belief that this line goes back to Cornwall, but cannot prove it. I would like any proof that I can get of this connection, or anything that disproved it.

You need to be a member of Parker Heritage to add comments!

Join Parker Heritage

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I wish I were a male as I am a descendant of Nathaniel and the discrepancies in data between the two Nathaniel Parkers have caused much grief in research as much of the facts are confused between the two. Jim's information appears more accurate than that i'VE found from my family to date. Interested if yoou ever find further info. Be sure to post please! Thank you!
  • You should look at this website:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tnsumner/parker2.htm

Sumner Co TN website

This account disputed that "Elder John Parker" , grandfather of Cynthia Ann Parker, was not Nathaniel and Ann Clayton Parker's son John.
  • Patricia Bruce generously provided me a copy of John Parker's, of Hampshire VA, will dated 11 Nov 1760. In the will he names his wife Elizabeth (she remarried to a McGuire) and states that she will receive 1/3 of his estate. The remainder to be divided among his children and a grandson Thomas.

Receipts for sale of property dated as filed Jun 12 1765 include:
    sons Robert m 1 Hanna Peters, 2 Margaret Unknown
    Nathaniel m Ann Clayton
    Richard,
    Aaron

daughters
    Catherine m William Forman
    Elizabeth m John Nall.
    , and grandson Thomas.

"Veterans of the American revolutionary Warr of Sumner Co TN" by Alma Lackey Wilson Feb 1962

NATHANIEL PARKER (1730-1803) , son of John Parker of Hampshire County, Va.; served in the Colonial Wars; with Gen. George Washington, in attack on the French Fort Duquesne, now Pittsburgh, Penn¬sylvania; engaged in many campaigns against the Indians during the Revolution; moved to Sumner County in 1780; married the widow of Colonel Anthony Bledsoe, Mary Ramsey, in 1793; four of his seven sons of a previous marriage came to Sumner County.
    1749 George Washington surveyed 312 ac Land Grant on Patterson Creek, Frederico Co VA for John Parker.
    • My thanks to Jim Yarborough and Patricia Bruce for sharing documents that give concrete evidence that Nathaniel Parker, b. 1730, & m.Ann Clyton, is son ofJohn Parker, b. in Hampshire Co., VA. I am trying to prove a connection between Sarah Parker, d. of Moses Parker, who was the son of Nathaniel & ANN. Sarah married into my grandmother's Slay family. (Thomas Slay Jr., b. MD.) His father, Thomas Slay, Sr., m. Frances Ricketts in MD. I would also like to find the "English Connection" to John of Hampshire.
      Melba Williams
      mcwilliams.1@comcast.net
      • Just to attach an opposing response to this thread. The DAR and Parker yDNA Family Group #18 both indicate that the Nathaniel Parker of Hampshire County, VA and migrated to Sumner County, TN married Ann Clayton. His marriage to Ann Clayton is KUDZU and has been disproved. See: http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~theduffypapers/parke...

And if your genealogy includes the names Daniel or Moses the statement below :

The first Parker came over from England in about the second ship after the Mayflower, landing at Boston. One of the Parkers, Thomas espoused the cause of Roger Williams and went to the Hartford Plantation, Conn., and one of the descendants of Tomas emigrated to Pennsylvania, and he or one of his descendants of Thomas emigrated to Pennsylvania, and he or one of his descendants went to Hampshire County, VA., from whose line comes John (1), father of Nathaniel (2).
        The oldest son, John never came to Tennessee; the three oldest sons married three sisters, the Miss Rogers. John married ____ Rogers; Richard married Nancy Rogers; Thomas married Susie Rogers..

Read the text at this link including the questions below the table:

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~theduffypapers/parke...
        • Patricia Ross Parker·December 2, 2016 at 2:33pm

Hello, Joe Crouch

As one of the several Parker Heritage website moderators, I am always pleased to see your research findings posted here online. You make fine contributions to Parker genealogy.

Many descendant generations of the Nathaniel Parker of your posts lived and died in the BethPage area of Sumner Co., Tennessee. Several of the earliest YDNA-tested Parker descendants populating YDNA Family Group #18 of haplo I2b1 were P86 and his match P148. P86 possessed an in-depth paper trail back through the male BethPage line. Genetic replicative father-to-son inheritances are built into YDNA test results, and they support family paper trails such as the link below:

http://www.nathanielparkerdescendants.com/

Together, they show that P-86 and others – through their BethPage ancestors – are all convincingly connected through the male line of long-hunter Nathaniel Parker.

Online discussions about the exact name of Nathaniel Parker’s first wife (and the mother of his children) continue to be confusing to beginning Parker historians. Hopefully, that first wife’s online identity will eventually be corrected to reflect the woman FG#18 researchers can agree upon.

We look forward to news from your FG#18 research.

Patricia Ross Parker, Ed.D., Parker Heritage moderator and researcher for P11, YDNA Family Group #7.
          • “Hopefully, that first wife’s online identity will eventually be corrected to reflect the woman FG#18 researchers can agree upon.”

Years ago I pointed out to my father that the 1828 Francis and Pamelia A. (Parker) Duffy (my g-g-g-g-grandmother) family bible in his possession, now in my possession stated:

Thomas Parker was born 29th February A.D. 1768; he was the son of Nathaniel Parker and his wife Elizabeth

He dismissed the statement at the end of Thomas Parker’s birth naming Elizabeth as Nathaniel’s wife because all the other researchers had Ann Clayton has his wife. When I began creating my web page for Nathaniel Parker of Sumner County, TN. I went looking for documentation on Ann Clayton in online family files. It seemed she was married in Gloucester, VA; Culpeper, VA; Hampshire, VA; and Gates, N.C. and that she died between 1783 to 1793 in Culpeper, VA; Hampshire, VA and Sumner, TN. but they had no documentation to back up the claim. Somewhere in the process I came across Jaye Drummond’s April 19, 2011 post of an extract of Ohio Supreme Court Justice Thomas Scott’s Oct 1851 letter on Parker Heritage:

"My father's sister Elizabeth (Scott), intermarried with Mr. Nathaniel Parker. He owned a beautiful well-kept cultivated farm and mills, two or three miles above the town of Frankfort on Patterson's creek, in Hampshire County, Virginia. He was a man of more than ordinary industry, economy and enterprise, and owned considerable wealth. My aunt had three daughters and seven sons by him, namely, Susannah, Elizabeth and Polly, John, Thomas, Richard, Aaron, Robert, Isaac and Nathaniel. Susannah (Parker) intermarried with Charles Buler (Beeler). More than sixty years since they removed and settled at Maristick (Mann’s Lick) a few miles from Louisville Kentucky. They had several children, but are both now deceased. Neither the names nor the places of their descendants are to me known. Elizabeth (Parker) intermarried with Col. Michael Collyer and John (Parker) with Miss Sally Collier, grand-son and grand-daughter of old Col. Thomas Cresap. These two families many years since removed and settled in Shelby County, Kentucky. After the decease of my aunt, Mr. Parker with the residue of his sons and daughters, their families removed to the state of Tennessee, where he intermarried with the widow of Col. Bledsoe deceased, but report says they did not live happily together."

I shared the above with the webmaster for the Nathaniel Parker Descendants website and the reply I received dismissed the above letter as fiction created during the late 1800’s. As the statement “My father’s sister Elizabeth” (Scott) matched the Duffy family bible in my possession I started looking at where Ohio Supreme Court Justice Thomas Scott said his 1st cousins migrated to. I found Michael and Elizabeth (Parker) Collier in Shelby Count, KY. Two of their children ‘Harriet L. Collier and Thomas B. Collier married 1st cousins William Parker (son of Richard and Lucretia (Penny) Parker) and Susan Elizabeth Parker (daughter of Nathaniel and Lucretia (Penny) Parker, Jr. of Sumner County, TN. Charles and Susannah (Parker) Beeler of Jefferson County, KY. son John C. Beeler (Susannah’s stepson} married Elizabeth Parker (born 1793) daughter of Thomas and Susana (Rogers) Parker in Sumner County, TN.

Then there is the John Parker currently attributed to Nathaniel Parker on the DAR website listed as having been born in 1755 and died in 1801 King & Queen County, VA. If he died in 1801, then how could he have participated in the Sumner County, TN. documents: Aaron Parker’s 1805 nuncupative will, in Nathaniel Parker (1724-1811) will, in the 29 Jul 1814 Settlement of Estate, in the 19 Nov 1814 land indenture to Robert Parker, in the Nov 1816 money owed to other family members, in the 24 Feb 1818 Land Indenture to James Suddarth, and in the 1825 re-recorded 1814 land indenture when someone realized that not all of Nathaniel Parker’s heirs had signed the deed. The John Parker in Shelby County, KY. that married Sally Collier died about 1833 in Shelby County, KY. so he could have signed all the above documents. Then you have the 1904 letter in Parker in America on page 482 wherein it states “John, son of, Nathaniel, lived in Shelbyville, KY.” Shelbyville is the county seat of Shelby County, KY. The author of the 1904 letter was a descendant of Richard and Nancy (Rogers) Parker

I’ve yet to see any hard documentation proving a link of Ann Clayton and Nathaniel Parker of Sumner County, TN.. The preponderance of evidence and documentation leads one to the conclusion that the 1828 family bible of Francis and Pameila A. (Parker) Duffy and the 1851 letter by Ohio Supreme Court Justice Thomas Scott are in fact accurate. Nathaniel Parker who migrated from Hampshire County, VA to Sumner County, TN. 1st married Elizabeth Scott and 2nd married Mary (Ramsey) Bledsoe. All of the above is documented with links to other sources.

The Index showing my Hampshire County, VA to Sumner County, TN. Nathaniel Parker line can be found here: http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~theduffypapers/parke...
            • Hello, Joe Crouch:
              I can comment on your posit about Nathaniels "One listed as senior with 3 people in the household and the other just as Nathaniel Parker with 10 people in the household..."

I agree that the varying generations with given names Nathaniel in that particular family can be confusing. As I get it, such given names go back to brothers, maybe even a father... of the OKA John Parker (who last m. and was survived by . Elizabeth Talliferro/Toliver) and was the man accepted by most as the father of Nathaniel who died 1811. Based upon their oft-repeated and oft-misstated birth dates, the elder Nathaniel took his adult children/families to Sumner, including son Nathaniel.. What seems to clinch their father-son relationship is that when the elder Nathaniel married the Widow Bledsoe (and what a fun marriage that turned out to be) and he sanctioned the marriage of the man understood to be Nathaniel Jr.. to the daughter or niece of the Widow Bledsoe. If at all possible, it seems unlikely that neither the old man Nathaniel nor the Widow Bledsoe would have allowed a union of her daughter/niece to a different family Parker male that could dilute their land holdings and the assets of the Bledsoe estate. Remember, the elder Nathaniel and the Widow Bledsoe marriage was a corporate merger, not a love match.

Like to hear from you on this, Joe.

Patricia Ross Parker
              • You’ve made an incorrect correlation in the Nathaniel Parker Sr. and just Nathaniel Parker in the 1782 Hampshire County, VA tax list. Nathaniel Parker Sr. was in the 1782 Hampshire County, VA tax lists with 3 people in the household, while the Nathaniel Parker (1724-1811) had 10 people in his household. The 1724 birth year comes from the M.B. DeWitt family bible.

See: (https://books.google.com/books?id=WLsmBe6v-dsC&pg=PA179&lpg... )

M.B. DeWitt’s wife was Mary Elizabeth Hibbett and a granddaughter Thomas and Susana (Rogers) Parker via their daughter Nancy Caroline Parker who married Andrew J. Hibbett. And a g-granddaughter of Nathaniel Parker (1724-1811)
                Nathaniel Parker’s (1724-1811) son Nathaniel Parker was 7 years old (born 17 March 1775 (See: Findagrave: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Parker&am... ) so he would not have been taxed in 1782 to make his father Sr. as under British common law Nathaniel born 1775 had not reached majority and could not buy or sell land, vote, patent land, etc.. (http://www.genfiles.com/articles/legal-age/ )

The Hampshire County, VA. 1782 tax list Nathaniel Sr. would have had to have been born before 1724 to be called senior in the tax lists to Nathaniel Parker (1724-1811). Some genealogists without proof have tried to insert Nathaniel Sr. between the John Parker who died in 1760 in Hampshire County, VA. and the Nathaniel Parker (1724-1811). For Nathaniel Parker Sr. to be Nathaniel Parker’s (1724-1811) father he would have had to have been born by or before 1703 to marry. That would make Nathaniel Parker, Sr. 79 in the 1782 tax list, 88 in 1791 when a marriage to Mary (Ramsey) Bledsoe occurred, and 99 in Nov. 1802 when the marriage between Nathaniel Parker and Mary (Ramsey) Bledsoe was dissolved. While it’s not impossible for the 1782 Nathaniel Sr. to be the father of Nathaniel (1724-1811), it’s statistically unlikely.

As a side note to this discussion the presiding Judge for the dissolution of this marriage was one Andrew Jackson ( https://books.google.com/books?id=DnSqmVDBp80C&pg=PA259&lpg... ) and I believe it was the 1st divorce on record for Sumner County, TN.
                • Hello again, Joe Crouch

You make a better case than I. :) So which Nathaniel married the daughter/niece of Mary Ramsey Bledsoe? If you have already mentioned that, please forgive and tell me again.

On a different topic, like many of the Hampshire and Frederick county area Parkers we have been discussing, I have noted references to Hessian Conrad (Konrad) Kremer (Cremer, Creamer, etc.) who opened a small grocery business in Winchester, Frederick Co. Virginia after the Revolutionary War. A John Parker b. 1801, presumably from the Winchester area, did marry into the Kremer family ca. 1829. Do you have anything in your files on Conrad Kremer?

Patricia Ross Parker
This reply was deleted.