Replies

• Hello. Daniel Parker is my 6th g-grandfather. I descend from Pleasant Lewis Parker's youngest brother, Edward Parker. Pleasant's mother and father were Daniel and Susan E. Parker. Pleasant or PL, and his wife Sally (Dillard) had several children and many of his descendants are still in Laurel and Jackson Co. to this day. PL was one of the first Road Commissioners for the newly formed Laurel Co. Ky and was also Sheriff in both Laurel and Clay. Pleasant was born in 1775 in North Carolina and died in Laurel Co. in 1857 at the age of 83. There have been several to be named after him, including the PL in the 1870 incident. The 1870 incident occurred 13 years after the death of PL. There are several news reports on record because of the horrendous travesty of the situation, and the great injustice of lynch mob crimes. For any man to be summarily executed without a trial or proof of guilt is a heinous crime. Let alone, to pass judgment on four young men and boys- this is one of the reasons it made a national impact in 1870. The family members touched by this tragedy continue to prosper and make an impact on the county as teachers, doctors, lawyers, politicians, business men and farmers. If you are descended from PL, he was known to have been a veteran of the war of 1812, and his father was a Revolutionary War veteran.
  • Hi Robert, Pleasant Lewis Parker and Alexander Parker were my grandfathers. Here is a link to a website that has their information: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/33FQ-5KS My Grandma was was Anna Parker (Cannon). Her father John " Captain Jack" Parker was from Laurel County, Kentucky. Take care, Brenda.
    • Hi, Brenda -- My husband's great grandfather was Anna Parker's brother Charles Columbus Parker. I found some interesting information on "Captain Jack" Parker on Fold 3. He was actually a deserter from the Civil War ..
      Marianne
    • Thanks Brenda for the information.It was good to hear from you. Robert
  • My gg grandmothers name was Nuba Grimes/Rutherford(Retherford) and she was married to George Houstin Parker. Their children were Cecil Patton-Parker (my grandmother) Roy, George, Tony, Randall, Georgia, Myrtle, Ella, Shelly, and Ralph. Of those children, Georgia is the only one still living. They moved to the Richmond Indiana area. I never knew my gg grandfather but Nuba was still alive when I was young. I remember visiting her. She was 99 when she died. Georges parents were Anderson Parker and Hester Truett. Andersons parents were Pleasant Parker Jr and Martha Cornelius. Pleasants parents were Alexander Parker and Margaret Forbes. Alexander's parents were Pleasant Lewis Parker and Sarah Dillard. Pleasant Lewiss parents were Daniel Parker and...Susan Terrell? I'm not sure after that. I've found some things about a Luke Parker maybe being Daniels father but I can't be sure. Let me know if you have info. They are from around Laurel County Kentucky.
  • Jonathan Pleasant Parker and John Alexander Parker are in my line from Kentucky -near Boston. Do you have any other names?

• i dont think they are the same Pleasant lewis Parkers father was Dan and his wife was Sally.they lived close to london kentucky

• Both of the named in my line are found in Illinois later, but JPP was born in Kentucky. The family lived there from about 1780 to 1804/5?. Not sure on specific address or even the years. I'm looking for the tie into the names Pleasant and Alexander. There were two brothers from Pennsylvania (Alexander/James) that relocated to Lexington and opened a general store about the same time (1790?) yet I can't locate a connection to them either. The truth of the large number of Parker men of the mid-1700s Kentucky/Tennessee w/unknown parentage has me convinced there was a broken family or in the case of James/Marey of New Jersey their son David also died young leaving his two minor sons (mother never mentioned). All are mentioned in wills of New Jersey. And the name Alexander may have been passed on in acknowledgement of that continued support of the widows/orphans. 

I'll shake the "Laurel" tree and see what falls out.

• i have seen a couple stories about 3 parkers and 1 other man that were taken out of a jail and hung in 1870 near london.one was pleasant parker jr i think 1 was named willis parker

This reply was deleted.